Sign in to follow this  
Don1977

C 175 Wheel Horse 1981

Don1977

My neighbor bought a Wheel Horse. The engine was in a couple of boxes, he got it back together and it runs good. The man he bought it from said his son-in-law took the engine apart said it was running right. All the parts were in the boxes with the exception of the carburetor gasket. He told us that he had had there carburetor rebuilt. So we believe the only thing wrong when his son-in law tore it apart was the missing carburetor gasket. We had to replace the rectifier to get it charging. He has $250 in it and has a good 48" deck. He has a level lot so the type 1 engine shouldn't be a problem.

SAM_0142.jpg

SAM_0143.jpg

wh1257

its an orginal c175 with this engine

Don1977

its an orginal c175 with this engine

Yes it's the original C-175 , I got the title wrong. Can't edit the title once it's posted.

jay in nc

very nice blackhood, he should be proud! Jay

stevebo

Topic edited...

B-8074

Very nice looking machine.

SousaKerry

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Noice Machine you got there, I made my own from a C-125 and it is a beast... Gotta love the sound of them Kohler twins

Jake Kuhn

Very nice looking horse! ~Jake

kpinnc

Another happy NC Wheel Horse owner!

Good looking tractor! :)

JackC

Looks to be in fantastic condition. The Series I engine should be fine as long as it is not used on inclines.

Looks like a Twin automatic which has the older gearing and will out run the newer 520H tractors and has only 3 fewer horses under the hood.

The C-175 automatic is my favorite model. Many owners replace the plastic fender with the medal version.

The seat is not original but looks fine.

The owners manual for the Series I engine says: "CAUTION:Do not operate engine continuously at an angel exceeding 20 degrees in any direction, or for more than 5 minute intervals at angles up to 30 degrees in any direction."

I had to replace the idler pulley for the drive belt on 3 of my C-175s.

You can check it by taking off the right side belt cover.

I also found that the belt specified in the belt book was a little too long causing some slapping of the belt and rattling of the handle that engages the drive belt. The parts diagram specifies the correct belt.

SousaKerry

I also found that the belt specified in the belt book was a little too long causing some slapping of the belt and rattling of the handle that engages the drive belt. The parts diagram specifies the correct belt.

Really mine rattles like crazy and it will slip in the winter when snow get in it... I never thought to check the belt length

Don1977

Yes it's rattling the engagement handle. Thanks! He said that noise bother him. Do you mean the Toro parts list on line?

JackC

The correct belt is 7473 which is HB/5L 81.95 inches.

Look at the Toro diagram for the 1984 twin automatic.

Some of the earlier year diagrams listed the same belt for the 8-speed and the automatic which is not correct.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=11-17KE01%2C+C-175+Twin+Automatic+Tractor%2C+1984&dn=810349R1-49R10050-00024

Besides the belt, I had to replace the idler pulley (43) and lever (49) and a few other related parts on the following diagram.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=11-17KE01%2C+C-175+Twin+Automatic+Tractor%2C+1984&dn=810349R1-49R10018-0008

The best thing to do is to take the belt cover off and examine for worn parts related to the idler pulley and lever. Wave washers are used to minimize vibration so keep the old ones or substitute something because Toro was out of them.

The engagement lever vibration is a common problem with the C-175 automatics and can be corrected with the right belt and replacement of worn idler pulley related parts.

Best to get the common wear parts from Toro while they are still available.