Sign in to follow this  
shallowwatersailor

My New Buddy

shallowwatersailor

After being without a dog for eleven years, I finally convinced the CEO that this house needed dog hairs. Back in the '80s and '90s I had my favorite female which was an Alaskan Malamute. "Sascha" came from a breeder but I soon found out that she had hip dysplasia, as many large breeds sometimes do. She was a really good dog for 14 1/2 years but got very arthritic at the end.

Realizing that these days there are too many animals that are put down through no fault of their own, I decided to search for just a good rescue that needed a good home. Lo and behold, I found a malamute! Recently our area suffered through a derecho storm that disrupted everything. In fact even after going through tornadoes in the Midwest, this was the first time I ever took refuge in the basement due to all of the trees on our property.

It turned out that "Oke" was found running loose after the storm somewhere in West Virginia and was picked up by the local dog warden. He was about to be put down when the Blind Dog Rescue Alliance stepped in. It turned out that "Oke" is blind in his left eye and partially sighted in the other. "Oke" is an 80 pound, nine years old malamute that just wants to please and love us constantly. He is laying at my feet as I write this. We adopted him from BDRA almost two weeks ago and it is going very well. In fact, he does pretty good with the truck, staying between the lines and not getting caught by our speed cameras, but currently he has trouble shifting the C-105 :ychain: . He might do better this winter with the 518xi when plowing snow - he's already dressed for it! :laughing-rolling:

post-3066-0-99189700-1345220856_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

A pretty new chauffeur you have there John.

rmaynard

Great story. Next Wheel Horse show, you and Mike McGuire will have to get your Malamutes together. That is if Mike is not out winning all the dog shows on the east coast :ychain:

JimD

He's a great looking dog, and it's easy to see he's made you as happy as you've made him. A really great thing you did there. :)

Sparky

Good lookin dog! I think its geat how you rescued him from what would likely have been a terrible fate. My neighbor has a rescue dog and he turned out to be a great dog.

Mike............

Ken B

Very nice dog ya got there John. My pup Rusty came from a high kill shelter in West Virginia.

1maidenfan

GREAT SAVE!!! Great looking dog, love those dogs.