608KEB

difference between a B & C model?

rmaynard
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

Dragging out a very old thread, thinking about what I want to do with this B-100 I picked up a few weeks ago.  Waiting for some parts to see if I can get it running (first priority), but then what?  Deck needs a little welding and TLC but not too bad.  Tires.... we shall see.

The question I have is about headlights.  Mine has a white plastic emblem in the front of the hood, which is cracked at the corners. I might be able to patch it up with some epoxy, but I was wondering if the hole in this hood was the same as a C-100, i.e. if I buy a C-100 headlight fixture would it fit in there?  I like having headlights/taillights on a tractor (even though it doesn't get dark until freaking 10PM here in southern Indiana on the far west edge of the convoluted Eastern Time Zone line... :wacko: ).   Anyone know if that would fit? 

Under the escutcheon plate is the opening where the standard headlight assemble goes. They are all the same in those type hoods. The B-100 only reflectors on the back, but under the decal are the holes for mounting a rear light. By the way, if you decide NOT to install headlights, new escutcheon plates are still available.

• Thanks 1

AHS

I have a 76 B80 with an 8 speed and it has 1” axles. It has the larger size front and rear wheels. 8” wheels on the front and 23” tires on the back. So, the C’s have 1 1/8” and 8 pinion rears. I tend to think that my B80 1” axles might have a 4 pinion? 

One of my Dads; C111 with a Briggs 11 hp had 1” axles.

I got my B80 2 years ago, it was lightly seized, with a stuck open exhaust valve… no smoke!! The B80 is my plow machine right now!

32AD0CB9-FD53-4280-B569-D1BE00ADDBD0.jpeg

ineedanother
46 minutes ago, AHS said:

I tend to think that my B80 1” axles might have a 4 pinion? 

I'm hoping someone with institutional knowledge will chime in here although this might be better addressed in the transmission forum because I think I'm in the same boat as you...I believe what I recently picked up is a B100 with the 8 speed but it has 1" axles and best I can tell it should have 1 1/8" and 8 pinion gear box. :dunno: I'm unsure of the year of mine though although I believe it to be mid-'70s.

rmaynard
1 hour ago, ineedanother said:

I'm unsure of the year of mine though although I believe it to be mid-'70s.

See if the ID tag is still there. Should be on the dash tower, left side above the height adjuster.

ineedanother
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

See if the ID tag is still there. Should be on the dash tower, left side above the height adjuster.

No luck. No tags. It's a partial refurb from what looks like several years ago. 10hp Kohler, 8 speed. Metal dash. 1" axles. Quite a few parts missing but the parts I need are there. 

Handy Don

Just a reminder, that transaxles are an easy job to swap--my 854 has a 6 speed--so it may not be original! :)

ineedanother
39 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Nope. One of the first things I looked for when I went to get it. Nothing. No real worries though, not really important in the grand scheme since so much is interchangeable but it would be nice to know.

123GO
1 hour ago, ineedanother said:

Nope. One of the first things I looked for when I went to get it. Nothing. No real worries though, not really important in the grand scheme since so much is interchangeable but it would be nice to know.

True, mainly the C is a longer frame upgraded B series tractor. Model tags and decals can be purchased in the link below.

Serial numbers are pretty irrelevant for the most part as far as parts ordering goes I do believe? May be some exceptions but unlike other brands where its common practice its not on WH so making your own serial number does no harm. Just say'n pick the model # closest to it via options & your good to go? Great quality!

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/

Edited by 123GO

ineedanother
2 minutes ago, 123GO said:

True, mainly the C is a longer frame upgraded B series tractor.

How so? I've heard this mentioned but where is the lengthening if you or someone can elaborate? I gather that interoperability with hoods can be impacted but how else if someone might explain it might be helpful.

123GO
4 hours ago, AHS said:

I have a 76 B80 with an 8 speed and it has 1” axles. It has the larger size front and rear wheels. 8” wheels on the front and 23” tires on the back. So, the C’s have 1 1/8” and 8 pinion rears. I tend to think that my B80 1” axles might have a 4 pinion? 

One of my Dads; C111 with a Briggs 11 hp had 1” axles.

I got my B80 2 years ago, it was lightly seized, with a stuck open exhaust valve… no smoke!! The B80 is my plow machine right now!

32AD0CB9-FD53-4280-B569-D1BE00ADDBD0.jpeg

Dont make them like these anymore. Just tough as chit!..:)

• Excellent 1

123GO
24 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

How so? I've heard this mentioned but where is the lengthening if you or someone can elaborate? I gather that interoperability with hoods can be impacted but how else if someone might explain it might be helpful.

Hopfully this link will help you out with that info.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/75299-late-60s-up-to-mid-70s-frame-length-question/

Edited by 123GO

ineedanother
8 minutes ago, 123GO said:

Hopfully this link will help you out with that info.

thanks @123GO but I've read that thread and it really doesn't answer my questions. I wish all of my tractors were here but they're not. The only one i have access to is a c160 and the frame measures 37 1/2". How does that measure up? B, C, and how might someone know to see the difference without simply measuring it? 

123GO

Wow 37.5, they left 8" of iron back at the WH factory then!

No I doubt they did it..lol

The shortest B frame measures 41.25 so my guess is someone cracked its frame plowing or shoving heavy dirt/snow so' they simply made a shorter tractor repairing it just so its still rolling?  You must assume its been cut down for some odd reason because that really is alot of iron missing off its frame?

Have you ran across any WH frame specs close to that length?

Id be looking for another frame my self if I had it because it sounds too short to sit on comfortably. Man that's really short one! (Like she said:laughing-rofl:)

You probably saw this discussion on your quest for answers too but more on frames here? 

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/59358-long-frame-vs-short-frame/

AHS
7 hours ago, ineedanother said:

The plow from my ‘01 Toro/WH 312 fit my B80. 76 B80 with an 01 plow. I think the B +C are the same frame. If you remember, Wheelhorse did not change  there parts and or frames much at all. 

ineedanother
10 hours ago, 123GO said:

Wow 37.5, they left 8" of iron back at the WH factory then!

No I doubt they did it..lol

Well, I guess I need to do a bit more research. The frame has had some work but no shortening that I can see. I'm measuring from the front edge of the frame to the gearbox mounting plate which is 37 1/2" with a wheelbase, axle to axle right at 46" but it's difficult to get an exact measurement on that with the wheels on. My 120 will be back later this afternoon and I'm going to measure that one as well.

123GO

Yes' a snow/dozer plow up fronts an easy swap from tractor to tractor. Since about 1973 WH used the TACH-A-MATIC system so most all their implements are interchangeable for these tractors regardless of frame length. 

Prior units didnt have this setup from factory.

Edited by 123GO