Sign in to follow this  
krazy_horse

By the numbers

krazy_horse

I hope you guys can direct me how to trouble-shoot an 8 horse Kohler. The engine turnes over but no fire at coil or points. I know this is pretty simple and I should know but my 70 year old brain is drawing a blank this a.m. I do have a test lite and bought a multi meter yesterday. Thanks in advance! Jim

Save Old Iron

Jim,

let us know what model tractor / engine we are working with. In general, coil based ignition systems can be broken down to the simple diagram below.

Make sure the coil is oriented properly - the (+) terminal on the coil should always have 12 volts present when the ignition key is in START or RUN position . The (-) terminal of the ignition coil should be wired to the points and also the condenser is attached to the (-) terminal of the ignition coil.

47b14aef.gif

If you have 12 volts at the (+) coil terminal, place a test light on the (-) coil terminal and crank the engine. The test light should flash as the points open and close.

ketteringtestlightcheck.gif

If the test light fails to flash, the points may need to be cleaned, adjusted or replaced.

• Like 1