Sign in to follow this  
Doorvip

310-8 implement lift lever

Doorvip

I would like to paint my lift lever, it's a little nicked up. How do I go about removing it?

310-8 classic, 1993 I believe.

Thanks, Rob

Doorvip

Wow, 48 views and nothing. Guess I posted in the wrong place.

dsholler

No. I am sure someone will answer. All that proves is that there are 48 people who have never taken theirs off.

Like me

Doorvip

It's interesting that it's the only part of my tractor with nicks and paint missing, I don't think debris fly up and hits it.

Duff

Hi, Rob, and :WRS: !

First a bit of "housekeeping", prompted by your and some other new members' postings I've seen recently. Although we have several thousand members, not all of us are versed in all the different models of tractors or a particlar "fix". Also, this time of year a lot of people are travelling or otherwise preoccupied and not checking the forum as regularly as we tend to in colder weather. Thus you may get a lot of "views" of a post with no replies. This doesn't mean your question isn't considered worthy of a reply, only that, as dsholler said above, no one's come along yet with the right advice. This forum is special because of the incredible brotherhood, generosity and wealth of knowledge (and often parts!) among our members. We're glad to have you and every other Wheel Horse owner among us, just be patient!

OK, off the soap box and on to the problem at hand...

There are two ways to approach your situation. Having wrestled with taking these things off before, my first recommendation is that you mask off the rest of the tractor and repaint the handle in place.

But if you would prefer to take it off and do it the right (?) way, you'll have to remove both the belt guard on the right side of the tractor and the sheet metal cover on the left side just above the foot rest. There is a large circlip on the opposite end of the shaft from where the handle attaches. You'll need to remove it. Unless it's badly rusted, it should be resuable. Now here's where things can get a bit dicey: if you can get to them without taking the tractor apart, there are two big hairpin clips, one at each end of the bellcrank that lifts the implements. These need to come out. Then, if - and this is a BIG if - the bellcrank isn't rusted onto the shaft, the shaft should slide out toward the handle-side of the tractor. There is a key inside the bellcrank that keeps it from rotating on the shaft, and this, too, may present some challenges getting the bell crank to slide off. A liberal application of penetrating oil might be a good idea.

While you have the shaft out, lubricate the two large bushings that the shaft rides on in the dash tower. Also, be sure to grease the shaft where the bell crank sits so it doesn't seize up [again, if it was already frozen]. Don't forget to reinstall the key in the keyway when you put the bellcrank back on!

Other RS'ers, have I forgotten anything here?

Good luck!!!!!

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

Doorvip

Hey Duff, that was a great, detailed explanation and I thank you. You're right about Wheelhorse owners being a big family, my neighbors up in my garage once a week to look at my tractor to reassemble his. I can't wait to get my hands on a 60s Wheelhorse and start a Resto project, hope to be talking again soon.

can whlvr

well said duff,on both accounts :thumbs: