ricksrj58

953 tranny

ricksrj58

i thought i read a post somewhere that said the 953 tranny was differant from other trannys. if so what is the difference?

racinfool40

the 953 tranny has the Bevel gear differential and has a different bolt pattern than the standard transmission housing..the bevel gear tranny is a weak spot in these transmissions..the bolt pattern is different compared to the mounting holes in the other tranny's

MIKE

ricksrj58

ok,so swapping in a 8spd may be out. has anyone done this? what part/parts exactly is the weak point in this tranny.

sorekiwi

The bevel gear differential is the weak point in these transmissions. It is possible to swap in an 8 pinion diff, Charlie posted a description and a drawing of what it takes.

One thing not yet mentioned is the length of the axles - 953/1054's have longer axles than normal wheel horses. When you fit your 4 bolt hubs to "standard" axles, the axles dont come all the way through the hub.

I have a 1054 in the back of my shed that has had an 8 speed swapped in. On mine the frame has been redrilled (or slotted) to suit the 8 speeds mounting pattern. And it has the axle/hub issue that I talked about before. I havent had the balls to pull off the hubs and to see if the setscrew is sitting in the right place on the woodruff key or not. I'm hoping to find some useable long axles to swap into the 8 speed on mine at some point.,

I can take some pics if you want to see how an 8 speed looks in there. Be warned though, mine is a little ugly!!

pcwh416-8

Looking for a good 4 speed for my 1054 in Chester, CT.

Thanks.

pcwh416-8

Is there anybody out there that has an old 4 speed for a 1054 that lives near Chester, CT?

Thanks for your time.

stevasaurus

Is there anybody out there that has an old 4 speed for a 1054 that lives near Chester, CT?

Thanks for your time.

You are looking for a #5047 transmission. the 1054 was the only horse that came with it. It is also considered one of the heavy duty uni-drives, and has the bevel gear differential. I am not sure what the difference is between the 5045, 5047, 5051 and the 5058 transmissions. They are all basically the same type of trans...could be bolt pattern, axle length or maybe an upgrade but the insides are the same. What is wrong with your transmission?? You may be able to fix it.

ricksrj58

ok so i could swap in a 8spd after drilling new holes,but i would have to swap the axles.are the axels a direct swap?

SOREKIWI do you have a pic of the tranny mount?

sorekiwi

A link to charlies thread about the diff swap:

And some pictures of the 8 speed in mine.

Disclaimer:(!!) I didnt do this swap (and neither did the guy that I got the tractor from!) I havent had the thing apart to see exactly how it was done, how well it was done or even if it works at all!!

Back view: note how short the axles look:

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

This shot shows how the hub isnt supported fully by the short axles:

IMG_3772.jpg

and these two showed how the frame was slotted to accomodate the different hole pattern:

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

Im not sure if this transmission will stay or not. If it does it will be getting long axles, and the frame modifications tidied up. Whatever trans ends up being in there will have an 8 pinion differential.

ricksrj58

thanks for the link and pics.now i can get the old tranny out and find out how bad it is and how to replace it.

sorekiwi

I dont think you have told us what is wrong with your old tranny Rick.

The only unique parts to the 953 trans is the axles and the case and you already have those. Good diff parts are hard to find but Charlies thread shows you how to upgrade to the near bullet-proof 8 pinion.

The rest of the rebuild is the same as any other 4 speed unidrive and there is a bunch of information on how to do that on this site.

If I was you I'd just rip into the gearbox you already have - plenty of help is here if you have questions or get stuck.

ricksrj58

all i know is what the PO told me and that was it would not drive.i hope i will be able to get the tranny out in the next couple a days and find out. i will post pics of what i find.

gwest_ca

Thanks for your time.

You are looking for a #5047 transmission. the 1054 was the only horse that came with it. It is also considered one of the heavy duty uni-drives, and has the bevel gear differential. I am not sure what the difference is between the 5045, 5047, 5051 and the 5058 transmissions. They are all basically the same type of trans...could be bolt pattern, axle length or maybe an upgrade but the insides are the same. What is wrong with your transmission?? You may be able to fix it.

All the transmission model numbers changed between 1964 and 1965. Suspect the revised shift rails and stop pin are what forced the model number change. Interest in knowing what the actual changes to the parts were.

Garry

ol550

If, if, and if all you need to do is a differential swap the GT-14 axles are already cut for a snap ring

and I believe they are the correct length. That just leaves grinding the ring gear.

racinfool40

I do know the shift rails went from just having a notch cut in the shaft to a having a groove machined all the way around the shaft..The groove in the shaft seems to be a little deeper than the notch for the 1/4 ball bearing to sit in..I never checked the stop pin..But I'm suspecting them to be a little longer for the added depth of the groove in the shift rail.

MIKE

ricksrj58

well i got the tractor running after the normal carb rebuild and new fuel line and sediment bowl. PO was right it will not move in any gear it has a steady little jerk like only 2 or 3 teeth are grabbing as they come around.now to get it up on some stands and pull the tranny

stevasaurus

Rick, before you drop the trans, I would put the rear end on blocks and do a couple of tests. First...in neutral can you spin one of the tires by hand in either direction...the opposite tire should rotate in the other direction. Second...take off the belt guard and belt...put it in any and all gears and (by hand) turn the input shaft. Both tires should rotate in the same direction depending on which gear you are in...they will go backward in reverse. If you can not do either of the first things, you need to drop the trans and open it. If all of these things work like I said, then it is the belt, belt guard, clutch, brake, shifter, etc. and is on the outside of the trans. We really do not have enough information here yet to give you an informed opinion. Check all this out and let us know. A little investigation can save you a ton of time and something you may not have to do. :) Like was said above, we are here to help and we can walk you through it. Also check the wood ruff keys in the hubs...just read your above post...could be a loose hub or broken key.

Lane Ranger

Yes the new shifting rails or forks are deeper (a depper helf moon cut) and allow better synch on the gear shifting on the 1054. There is a service note/bulletin on the #5047 transmission (and I beleive in the Big Unidrive Transmission Repair Manual).

I did not see if you indicated that the transmission shifts in all the gears as it it now set up on the tractor. All thos checks that Steve mentions inthe note above are also possible driving/running issues.

ricksrj58

thanks guys i made those checks and still no go. i can turn one hub by hand and the other one will not turn,same goes for the input shaft. as soon as i get this @#$&% hub off,and drain the case i will open her up and see how many pieces i pick out.

SAM_0595.jpg

stevasaurus

Sounds like the bevel gear at this point Rick. Good luck with the hub, but once you get that off...make sure you have the shallow side of the trans down. Clean and file any burrs on all shafts also first...and pull the shifter before splitting. Do you have a copy of the big manual for these transmissions??? You are section II.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Transmissions/492-4004.pdf

Lane Ranger

Rick:

You might rig up a hub remover from the other hub on this transmission (looks like you have it off) somthing like this one I set up to slowly tighten and pull the hub off the staft and woodruff key. A little PB Blaster and some good bolts on this other HUB worked for me on a five bolt hub that was stuck on a Wheel Horse axle.

102_6687.jpg

102_6688-1.jpg

ricksrj58

LANERANGER i used your rig idea and pulled the other hub.

SURPRISE SURPRISE LOOK what i found

SAM_0596.jpg

SAM_0597.jpg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

So what's messed up the most in the differential? Looks like the one axle gear ITEM #36 on your transmission manual -Gear Number Part 2820??

The two Pinion Gears don't look too bad to be from the photo.

Is that a broken differential block ?? ITEM 45 on Manual and Part No: 2826?? Looks like that is broken in pieces.

racinfool40

:ranting: seen that many time's in those differentials..Just re-built one for a fellow member that looked the same and sent another member a good set of bevel gears..unfortunately that was the last set I had...Maybe some one here has a set on the shelf or do the 8-pinion swap..Good luck.,

MIKE

ricksrj58

all 4 of the bevel gears are really chewed up so im pulling apart a parts tranny swapping in a 8 pinion diff.