Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Swapping a RJ or 'Burban tranny

Hodge71

I have been pondering the next project around here now that the 18 Auto is pretty well completed. I was wondering if it would be possible to take tranny out of the 401, 551, or one of the RJs and swapping in a later model 8 speed. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what trannys might fit and the feasability of this swap working out. Also which one of the 4 it would make most sense to do this on. I dont know much about these lil guys but I thought it would be pretty cool to make a hot rod with 8 speeds and some other ideas to be named later. I wont be carving up any sheetmetal or damaging anything that cant be put back to 100% stock. Strictly swapping out tires/wheels, paint maybe some wheelie bars and other easily reversible things. Thanks in advance guys

wallfish

The only little roundhood that will work without modification is a 551. The others use a 3 piece trans that bolts to the frame differently. Any of the 8 speed trannies will bolt on

stevasaurus

Walfish is right to a point. Not positive, but I think the 8 speed transmissions that have the 1 1/8" axles may have a different bolt pattern for bolting on the frame that you are talking about...(551). Some modifications in the linkage to make the brakes work may also be necessary. A 1" axle transmission, 8 speed with the brake band coming off in the same direction of the 5007 trans that you have on the 551 may be a direct bolt on. :) These are the things you will have to look at to see if it is a direct bolt on. We want pictures. :bow-blue: Like John said, the RJs and the 401 is a completely different mounting system, and would take some major welding and fabrication to work.

Hodge71

Of course it has to be that damn 551 with the Lauson that I cant get running....lmao....Just my luck...Well I guess first priority is to get a reliable running machine so that this thing can be enjoyable. I guess I cant pull that engine and replace it with a Kohler can I?

Jake Kuhn

I'm pretty sure you can put a kohler on a 551 I don't know if you have to change anything on it,but lars(knusern) is using a kohler k91 for his 551 project. Jake

smoreau

Yank the indian techy and put a Kohler in it!! Best thing you could do to it!!

Hodge71

Awesome...all I gotta do now is find a good 6 or so hp Kohler in good shape!!!!

TT

Jon Bell did one not long ago but the pictures seem to be lost:

Hodge71

Thank you so much Terry. I thought I was delving into new territory here but alas I'm second in line....I sourced a brand new Kohler Courage horizontal 6.5 HP for $159. Didnt pull the trigger yet but I thought it would make a good powerplant for it because I'm having issues sourcing a K series from back in that era. I really wish there was a way yo ressurect those pics from Jon's post, I bet they have a ton of valuable info for me.....

stevasaurus

hodge, you may try to PM Bell, he is still active...he may be able to e-mail you the pictures. :)