Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Went for a ride with Stevebo today....

Ken B

A boat ride that is! We tossed Steves 1954 Johnson 10 hp on my AlumaCraft and we went out and had a good time. Them Corona's went down real smooth Steve! Afterwards on the way home we stopped for some frozen yogurt Sundaes. Who would have known they were that good? I'm hooked! Here is an action shot of Steve. Thanks much Steve.

IMG_0528.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

Ken is the vintage outboard master. I bought this barn find 54 Johnson which sat in a guys barn since he bought the house close to 20 years ago. I tired to get it going but it needed a professional's touch. Ken cleaned the carb and installed a new water pump then offered to take it out on his boat for a ride. He is always willing to help out -thanks Ken !!

He dropped me off on an island and said let's see how it goes with just one of us... Well I had a few cigars and a cooler full of coronas so I wasn't complaining. He really likes to take that boat for a burn. I was watching him do hot laps for about 20 mins...

nylyon

Um.... uh.... without a truck I wasn't very busy today...... :ychain:

Coadster32

Looked like an awesome day. :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

Once you get those oldtimers running again...how reliable are they?

I've heard the right ones are bullet proof.

Ken B

The older motors can be very reliable. The parts are still mostly available and the parts are much cheaper than parts for a new motor. I myself like working on the 2 and 4 cylinder Mercs. I restored this 1956 Feather Craft boat a few yrs. ago, when I bought it she was a mess but I saw the beauty. On my vacation a few yrs. ago we hit the lake bright and early every morning and got back to the ramp by 4 pm. The 1956 Merc purred like a kitten at idle and screamed like a scalded cat wide open all week long without a single hiccup. The older motors get a ton of compliments out on the water, I must have had at least four different people thru out the week walk up to me when we beached for lunch and tell me the Merc and boat was Art Deco.

MercKE4032.jpg

• Like 2

grnlark

Ken, that thing is WILD!

Martin

ken, very nice looking boat.

you know it doesnt matter what it is, if it was relaible, popular, or whatever back in the day.......

today when you rebuild or restore or even have a nice original, its gonna turn someones head and bring back memories for some people.....

it doesnt even take somebody saying something about that old or older piece of equipment that you are enjoying, sometimes just a look or a smile is enough to see their appreciation.......

old stuff is the bomb....

not so much turn of the century old stuff anymore but im noticing the 50s 60s 70s and even some 80s stuff is really becoming more popular from what i can see.......

Martin

hey steve got some pics of that motor?

stevasaurus

Looks like you guys had a great time on the water. :) That engine really looks good on that boat. Totally cool. :bow-blue:

Sparky

Great pics and story guys! I haven't had a boat for a few years but I'm starting to get the itch again.

Mike...........

KC9KAS

Nice boat & outboard.

You guys know how to have a good time!

stevebo

Well after taking the motor out on Ken's yesterday I just had to mount that Johnson 10 (54') on my boat. I tried twice to take me son out on this boat but due to motor problems we had to put it back on the trailer and go home. I got this boat about a month ago and since then I repainted it (ken helped there too), had the original side pads re covered and cover the seats with carpet. My wife and kids are away this week at the in law's house so I had a little time after work to "play".. This motor really cranks on this 11 1/2 foot boat. I only wish the fishing went as well as the boat and motor.... 2 small fish and nothing else. I need to figure out how to fish this river. What typically works on a nearby lake ain't working on this river...

As far as the pics they are coming through funky so if anyone knows how to convert that would be great. Thanks again !!

1.bmp

2.bmp

3.bmp

wallfish

I think it's because they were attached as .bmp. I changed them to jpeg and they loaded up fine

post-658-0-85993100-1343789007_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-15982500-1343789015_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-46666400-1343789025_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

Thanks John!

Coadster32

At least with a good cooler....you can always catch a buzz. :ychain:

Ken B

Absolutely Chris! Always a good time with Steve. I gotta start calling him "Mr. Excitement"

The side cushions really look good Steve! When you figure out how too fish that river how about giving me a clue?

Ken B

Ken, that thing is WILD!

Thanks Matt. I also owned this boat. It is a sister to the smaller Feather Craft with the Mercury on the back. I sold this one a few yrs. ago and when it came up for sale locally this spring I went and had a look at it. Sadly it is now trashed. I spent almost a yr. restoring this boat and I just don't think I have the energy to do it all over again. She was without a doubt the Queen of Candlewood Lake.

Jessesquantz024.jpg

truckin88

you CT boys sure do know how to have a good time!

grnlark

Ken, that thing is WILD!

Thanks Matt. I also owned this boat. It is a sister to the smaller Feather Craft with the Mercury on the back. I sold this one a few yrs. ago and when it came up for sale locally this spring I went and had a look at it. Sadly it is now trashed. I spent almost a yr. restoring this boat and I just don't think I have the energy to do it all over again. She was without a doubt the Queen of Candlewood Lake.

Jessesquantz024.jpg

It would be a hard sell for me to get into boats, but man, if this thing was for sale in this condition, I think I'd be clearing a spot in the garage as we speak!