Sign in to follow this  
Gunny

Seal replacement on RJ58 Tranny

Gunny

Have a leak on the drive side tranny of my RJ58, Tranny Model 5003. Can I remove the seal from the outside, I am thinking I can. Better to be safe that sorry. Any assistance is appreciated.

Dennis

tommyg

I just replaced the seal on my D180. Removed the axle and pried it out from the outside. Can't assume it would be the same on yours, though. Don't plan on salvaging it and take care not to damage the casing.

VinsRJ

Actually there is no need to pull the axel to replace a seal on a RJ. If it's an early style 5003, just hook the seal from the ID and pull it out. If its the later style which over lays the axel tube, a drift punch and light hammer will get it off.

Just one thing though, when a seal starts to weap consistantly on a RJ, that is a sign that the bronz axel bushing has excessive wear and needs to be replaced. Replacing the seal only covers up this issue for a short period of time depending on how much you use the tractor.

A good test is with the wheel off, grab the hub and gently see if there is any up and down play (floor to ceiling). Feel any slop? If so, the bushing needs to be replaced as well the seal. You do have to pull the axel in order to replaced the axel bushings.

stevebo

Where is the leak? On the axle or on the pulley?

VinsRJ

Where is the leak? On the axle or on the pulley?

Ah yes very good question... in the second post I read axel... if it is the input seal you can do that also without taking the tranny apart.

Gunny

The leak is from the drive pulley shaft. The shaft itself seems fairly tight as far as movement up/down. When it is running, I have a small amount of fluid that is spun out below the pulley on the floor. Thanks for the info.

dennis