Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

Tecumseh carbs = no idle.

Fordiesel69

I have recently rebuilt 2 tecumseh carbs using the OEM kits. It drilled the soft plugs out on both and was able to clean the pinhole quite will and used plenty of spray carb cleaner. I noticed the low adj needles were a different length in the kit, so I inspected and reused the old ones. They were not grooved. The throttle shafts do have some play but not excessive. The carbs were totally non functional before and now they work but do not idle regardless of how they are adjusted. When you are at full thottle and then try to come to idle, the engine just drops right off to nothing, or it will drop a little and then the gov starts to hunt before it dies. What am I doing wrong?

Overall I have had about 70% luck rebuilding these carbs. Sometimes I struggle with them.

Mikez655

In my opinion having tried the same with my original h60 carb, the little play in the throttle shaft is the problem. I did everything to my old carb to try and get it to run right but I later found out that the engine was sucking in too much air (due to the throttle shaft) and wouldn't idle. So eventually I just went on eBay and bought a brand new replacement and I haven't looked back. It was probably the best investment I made in my resto. I hope this helps you in some way.

Mike

Eboy

The main jet and the idle speed jet do not adjust the idle speed. The idle speed is adjusted by the butterfly valve on top. I'm not the best with these either, but you play and learn. Use compressed air to make sure all ports are open.

Errol

Buckshot 1

:flags-usa: I with Mikez655 on this one. I tried everything in the book to get the carb. right on my H60, finally ordered a new one, it was a bit pricecy for a new OEM Tec. carb. pn; 631828. Now it starts right up without the choke and runs like a top;