Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

A good reason to look after your engine..

Stigian

Some of you will remember a while back I bought a KT-17 engine very cheap knowing it had busted a rod and smashed it through the side of the case.

I only bought it for Handy spares..

PC080989.jpg

Sunday I decided to strip the engine down to see which parts I could sell (raising funds for chains etc for my 6X6)... I was quite shocked at what I found :eek:

Neglect caused these problems I'd say.. A lack of oil and over heating..

Look at the state of the cooling fins on one of the barrels!!

P7222875.jpg

A destroyed piston and rod..

P7222876.jpg

I'd say this piston crown got rather hot!

P7222878.jpg

A busted barrel... A shame as the bore is quite good..

P7222877.jpg

Trashed crankshaft and hole punched through the case...

P7222879.jpg

That's not to mention two holes through the other half of the case.. No photo's..sorry..

It's shocking what a bit of neglect can do to an engine!!!

AMC RULES

Geeze, looks like a grenade went off in there.

Hodge71

What a shame. I cant believe they left it get that bad. Im sure if it was cleaned regularly there wouldnt be a window in the block

wheeledhorseman

I guess you'll be weighing in most of the ally rather than putting it up on ebay Ian.

Can't be many salvageable bits left.

Andy

VinsRJ

Got to love people... what would have it took to just change the oil and blow out the cooling fins......... obviously a lot.

bowtiebutler956

:jaw: Ouch! :scared-eek:

Matt :flags-texas:

Fordiesel69

Although neglect certainly is to blame on this one, kohler could have done better with the KT series engines. Too many blow with good maint......

MarkPalmer

That's one of the "better-trashed" KT17's I've seen in a while. You feel bad for the guys who did maintain their KT17's and they ended up blowing. At least you got a good flywheel for a small vessel anchor :)

-Mark-

SousaKerry

I picked up a C-100 awhile back that would only roll so far and the wheels would lock up. When I got it home I noticed the axles were sitting crooked in the case. Took it apart and it looked like a grenade went off inside, they ran the thing without oil so long that the axle bearings self destructed, then the pieces got into the gears from there who knows what happened. All I know is the only salvageable parts in it were the axle hubs and shifter forks and maybe the input shaft.

Strange this was the 10hp motor looked like it was fresh off the line, new head gasket and a carb kit and it is in my puller now, best starting engine I own.

JackC

Thanks for the pictures.

Like anything else, if you want to a avoid a costly, early death, then take good care of it.

gregg'shorses

Quart of oil $ 3.50 ; inside an engine -PRICELESS

Stigian

I guess you'll be weighing in most of the ally rather than putting it up on ebay Ian.

Can't be many salvageable bits left.

Andy

The engine has more than paid for itself in parts used (and kept as spares) on my 6X6, a few bits (air filter box, carb etc) have found their way onto the 'bay.

The strange thing is I also bought a Eaton trans from the same Wh as the engine came from, but the trans was beautifully clean inside and out and works very well..

I guess he was more of a "rear end" kinda guy.. Snigger snigger :ROTF:

boovuc

Those pics could be used in a video like the ones they showed us when we were all learning to drive. I think the movie I saw was called "SIGNAL 30"!!!!! Drive fast and this is what can happen to you!

A shock and learn video for what happened to that motor could be called "DEEP 6 FRICTION"! Don't check or change the oil, this is what happens. Oh and for the KT17 Series I, mow on side hills and this is what happens!

Stig! I think that twin saw both horrors!