Sign in to follow this  
Giles

Mounting small tires.

Giles

For some reason, I am not allowed to start a new topic under Mechanical Tips?????

I posted this in another forum and got several "Thanks"-------

I bought a set of 23 x 8.50-12 lawn tractor tires off eBay. When I received them, dismounting and mounting instructions were included.

Instructions---

All rims are desighened to have the tire removed and replaced from either the inside or outside of the rim.

Before mounting the tire, be sure the rim sealing area is in good shape.

Use appropriate size 2x4 or other method to spread the tire bead app. 1"-2" inches wider then the bead surface of the rim. Leave overnight if possible.

Use a rubber lubricant or dish soap on the bead surface.

I have mounted many small tires and always had to use a strap around tire to spread the bead to the rims. Not after following these instructions
thumbsup.gif

I could not believe how easily the tires were to mount--very little tire tool usage
biggrin.gif
while mounting the tires, I simply added air--with valve core removed---tire beads were touching rim all around
thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

bean

removing the old tires is the problem for me. I found a small tire shop by me that does them at a good price.

when you get old, you look for the easy way out. :)

nice info .

CasualObserver

For some reason, I am not allowed to start a new topic under Mechanical Tips?????

Only admins/mods can move/start topics there to keep it clean (ish)

I'll move it... then you should be able to reply to it.

Giles

removing the old tires is the problem for me. I found a small tire shop by me that does them at a good price.

when you get old, you look for the easy way out. :)

nice info .

I am fortunate that I have a tractor with front loader bucket. It is a very simple matter to break the bead with the front blade of bucket. In the past, I have placed tire assembly on ground, and ran over it with another vehicle. Primitave but it worked.

I had planned to take the new tires and fresh painted rims to a tire dealer for mounting. Before this mounting information was received, I would wrap a ratchet tie down around the tire and it was a hassle.

JamesBe1

I bought a set of 23 x 8.50-12 lawn tractor tires off eBay. When I received them, dismounting and mounting instructions were included.

Instructions---

All rims are desighened to have the tire removed and replaced from either the inside or outside of the rim.

Before mounting the tire, be sure the rim sealing area is in good shape.

Use appropriate size 2x4 or other method to spread the tire bead app. 1"-2" inches wider then the bead surface of the rim. Leave overnight if possible.

Use a rubber lubricant or dish soap on the bead surface.

I have mounted many small tires and always had to use a strap around tire to spread the bead to the rims. Not after following these instructions
thumbsup.gif

I could not believe how easily the tires were to mount--very little tire tool usage
biggrin.gif
while mounting the tires, I simply added air--with valve core removed---tire beads were touching rim all around
thumbsup.gif

If I understand this correctly, you prop the tire open wider than the rim and leave it overnight? Is that correct?

Sounds like a great idea. I hope I remember to try it when I have to do it next.

Giles

Yes--that's the idea. When most tires are shipped, they are pressed nearly flat. You are trying to return the tires to their original form. You could leave in the hot sun for a shorter length of time, let them cool--if you are in a hurry. You could also insert an inner tube and inflate to achieve the same results.

I hope this helps someone as it did me!

KC9KAS

Very good post, BUT......I would NEVER admit to reading instructions, Ha Ha!

JamesBe1

Very good post, BUT......I would NEVER admit to reading instructions, Ha Ha!

Or asking for directions!

Giles

I didn't think I needed instructions for mounting a tire, but I read the note and thought--well that's really just common sense---why didn't I think of that???? :)

TT

I've used both the wooden blocks & the inner tube stretch method quite a bit - but only because the boss won't give me the OK to buy a Cheetah

sorekiwi

You would think that for $200 it would pay for itself in a very short time. Maybe you need to leave one of the mowers out of commision for a couple of days while you wait for the wooden blocks to stretch the tires a bit :hide:

TT

I've been hauling the "impossible" tires (those that cause me to create compound four-letter words) to the Firestone tire store so I can borrow their Cheetah.

I guess he doesn't grasp how much that has cost the company so far. :confusion-shrug:

Save Old Iron

Based on some other posts, I think I'm gonna spring for the HF mini tire changer when it goes o sale http://www.harborfre...nger-34552.html

It really does make changing the tire very easy. Make sure you have a solid bench surface that allows you to BOLT THE CHANGER to the bench. Breaking the beads is still the toughest part of the operation (notice they don't show that part on their website video).

I picked mine up years back at $25 on sale but I haven't seen them much below $40 lately. Use a 20% off coupon and you still save 10 bucks off the regular price.

Good idea on the wooden blocks. I use wood clamps reversed into spreaders. The tire then sits under a brooder lamp with an infrared bulb for a few minutes and softens and spreads really nice.

sorekiwi

A bead breaking thread from a long time ago:

joel_400

I work at a shop and we do a pile of tires! My favorite part of doing tires is using the Cheetah! What a blast! Haha It makes those nearly imposssible squished tires cooperate.

Joel

SousaKerry

Hmmm That cheetah thing looks faily easy to coble together out of junk I got laying around at work I may just have to build one :eusa-think: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Don1977

When I took the 11-24"s off my dads John Deere I had to cut the tires off and cut the steel wires in the beads with a side grinder. They had calcium in them and the beads were rusted fast. I took them down to my friend who build engine and put then in his engine cleaning tank they came out no rust and on paint.

billworthington

I also bought tires off of ebay and had difficulty getting the tire to seat . Try this the next time after mounting the tire on the rim with the valve core installed squirt a small amount of starting fluid (ether) inside the tire. Then put a lite fire stick ( like you use on the bbq) to the edge of the rim it will ignite the ether cause a small boom and immediatly seal both beads. CAUTION just a very quick shot of ether.

KC9KAS

I also bought tires off of ebay and had difficulty getting the tire to seat . Try this the next time after mounting the tire on the rim with the valve core installed squirt a small amount of starting fluid (ether) inside the tire. Then put a lite fire stick ( like you use on the bbq) to the edge of the rim it will ignite the ether cause a small boom and immediatly seal both beads. CAUTION just a very quick shot of ether.

Yep, this really works. There is an old garage downtown and you can still see the indentation on the ceiling (15' high") where one of the guys tried this.....once!

Oh, and there is another garage in an adjoining county...well, there WAS a garage before the fire!

can whlvr

i have a large c clamp for breaking beads,sometimes i have to put a special metal bar between the clamp and the bead if its really rusted,i can evev break skid steer tires which have a very strong rim bead,never had any luck with the ether,the air blaster works good,ive seen it on a portable tire truck that does constuction equipment