Sign in to follow this  
Buckshot 1

Kohler K-series valve question.

Buckshot 1

:) Valve settings K-301. Kohler service manual states IN. .008/.010, Ex. .017/.019. I.D. tag on fan shroud states, IN. .010, EX. .020. Which specs. do you Guys use? Thank you for your time. :flags-usa:

smoreau

I usually go to the higher end of the spec. and as the valves ware, they will close the gap.

sorekiwi

What he said! ^^^

Usually the setting changes a bit as you tighten the jam nut, so as long as its within spec I'd leave it at that. I'd probably aim for .010 and .019".

Buckshot 1

:) Scott & Mike, Thank you for your replies. It just seemed kinda odd that the manual and tag is different on the valve settings. I usually set them on the low side of the manual settings. I think I will change the settings to the high side and see if there is and difference in performance, as I am getting some backfire at idle. :flags-usa:

sorekiwi

A little loose and they may make some noise, a little too tight and you might burn a valve. I always lean towards the loose side.

The vintage car engines I work on during the day get their valves set at .002" for the inlets and .004 for the exhausts. Believe it or not those things will rattle like hell if your more than .001 or so too loose.