Staub'sLawnmower

520-H/520-HC trans.

Staub'sLawnmower

My 520-H dose not move very fast. We bought it new in 1990. Do you think the 520-HC gear set would make a difference? Trying to find one but haven't much luck!

Thanks, will

varosd

The manual for the 500 series does show that the 520-HC had a faster foward and reverse compared to the 520-H id the present tranny with new oil and filter?

Staub'sLawnmower

Well, actually the hyro runs pretty well. It does not slip when going up hills. Just wish it would go a little faster.

zieg72

Well, actually the hyro runs pretty well. It does not slip when going up hills. Just wish it would go a little faster.

Join the club, me too!!!

Kelly

Try looking at the gearing in the C series tractors that had the Eatons in them, they may have a better gear, they started using the eaton in about 81, like the C-175, ect......

Staub'sLawnmower

Thanks a lot Kelly! Looks like all I need is the 22 tooth # 108358 and 44 tooth #101626. The 44 tooth gear looks like it is still available through toro but the 22 tooth is no longer available :-(!!!

Will

Kelly

Do you have a list of tractors that used those gears??

Staub'sLawnmower

I will look into that tonight!

Thanks- will

Staub'sLawnmower

Looks like all C-125's to the C-175's. Also the 417 and 420 series. I guess everything with the eaton model 11 trans. It looks like they changed when thay built the 518 and the 520. The C-195 has a different gear set (due to the larger wheels?) thanks

Will

TT

Don't forget the WorkHorse GT-1800/1848 models. :handgestures-thumbup:

26" tall tires will get you some speed too.

• Like 1

sdgmc05

All 520h models have a maximum ground speed of 5.6 mph in foward.

AMC RULES

Section 4, page 7 of the '88 500 series parts and service manual.

post-3498-0-85022300-1343849783_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-34919400-1343849860_thumb.jp

smoreau

417a 1985 has a faster gear then the 86 417a. I have both

I will post pics of the difference tonight when I get home, they are on laptop

JackC

For the 1989 model year, the 520HC was rated at 7.50 mph compared to 6.4 mph for the 520H.

The "C" stands for Commercial so maybe they made the 520HC go faster for the people mowing for a living?

The 724-Z was only a little faster at 8.0 mph.

My 1989 520HC fells like if flies compared to my 1994 416H and my 1996 314H that are both rated at 5.6mph and same as the 520H.

The 520HC is not quite as fancy but it will out run any 520H.

Here is my 520HC:

smoreau

Ok here is what I know on this issue. the early eaton 1100 that came in the c125-175 black hoods to 85 417A's all had the faster trans. 86 and newer was hit and mis. some of the 520's went faster then others. My 90 flys! my 96 came with the slower gears and they got changed with the gears out of a c125 black hood. I took some pics and here they are. there is more then 2 gears that are different.

028-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

030-2.jpg

031-2.jpg

034-1.jpg

035-2.jpg

036-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

diamondred

Bravo... good to know... :greetings-clappingyellow:

JackC

Linkage issues can prevent a tractor from reaching its top speed.  Has anyone tried to check their top speed with a GPS?  My GPS does report vehicle speed, it knows the speed limits and it keeps me from getting a ticket at least so far.  

I have not used my GPS to measure tractor top speed but it seems like it could be used to do so.  Even the slower 520Hs should be fast enough for most applications if the linkage is properly adjusted.

• Like 1

diamondred

I think the slower of the two is going to have more torque, and less pressure on the pump. You can always speed up the input shaft to get your speed. The Faster of the two would have the speed needed mowing. All depends on what you want.

bmsgaffer

I think the slower of the two is going to have more torque, and less pressure on the pump. You can always speed up the input shaft to get your speed. The Faster of the two would have the speed needed mowing. All depends on what you want.

You shouldn't increase the input shaft speed on hydros. They are designed for a certain max pump speed (for oil pressure, cooling, volume, etc) and going over that can accelerate wear exponentially.