Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhead

Rare Suburban footrest's, Part 2

Hammerhead

As discussed in the other Suburban footrests post, here are the rare footrest's I am talking about. These were made in late 1960 or early 1961. I have seen 2 1961 Suburban tractors with this type of footrest's and a few 603 Special's with this type of footrest's. I sold a 603 to a member here on Redsquare(hey Mike!) and his 603 has this type of footrest also. Since the 603 was considered a parts shelf clearing Model to clear out old parts from earlier Models left in stock, you can have a 603 with alot of old parts, almost all the 603's were different in many ways. That is one reason they are one of my favorite Models ever made. All 4 of my 603's are different in one way or another. I consider these footrest's,

Part # 3651-C to be the rarest footrest's ever made, unless they made the set like what is in the 1960 Brochure as discussed in the other thread. They are the same part # from left to right since they mount straight off the mounting bar instead of angled like the left and right 1961 types that have 2 different Part Numbers, 4200 and 4201. Hope this makes since after all this....Hammerhead 002-3.jpg005-4.jpg007-5.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Very nice, and it looks like you have the market cornered on them! :text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Kelly

My 603 has those footrest,

100_0444.jpg

Hammerhead

Yes I scarf them whenever I see them! I was bummed when I sold a 603(hey Mike) and it had them on it! I bought a pair of them at the tractor show last week and one was busted and brazed back together. You can see that one up by itself in the pic. So yeh, I tried to corner the market on them, I knew they were rare. I like to hoard certain WH parts, like original seat cushions, red grease caps, 1961 footrest's, HL-5 head lights and all the paperwork on these rare machines! Most of my restored tractors have all these items on them and then some more on the infamous parts shelf! Gotta love this hobby...Keith

VinsRJ

My RJ59 has a pair of those straight footrest's. A little difficult to see in this pic though.

post-1597-0-01430100-1342749043_thumb.jp

bean

speaking of footrests, when I first became interested in wheel horse tractors, I remember seeing a pic of some rubber, teardrop shaped footrests on an rj or suburban. the person said they had bought them off of ebay and that they were vintage. I have never seen another pic of a tractor with them. anyone know anything about them?

Hammerhead

My RJ59 has a pair of those straight footrest's. A little difficult to see in this pic though.

Hey Vin, yes those are the same ones. I notice too that your RJ59 has the 1960 seat with no holes. My RJ59 has the same seat so I figured mine was a late production Model close to when they started making the 1960 Models. Mine has a 9 cast into the tranny. But I can't read the letter, which is supposed to be the month of manufacture. It reads ?-8-9. But that is another topic for another day. The dreaded RJ58 and RJ59 Identification problem! LOL...KJ