Sign in to follow this  
bean

suburban foot rests?

bean

I stole someones pic from a previous post :hide:

it shows some peculiar footrest on a suburban. I have never seen them before. was it a factory option?

Kelly

I think you will find that is a drawing of a prototype, WH did that on a lot of their sales flyers, I'm pretty sure they are not a production item.

ol550

Prototype. Never happened.

stevebo

Then again... someone will fabricate some to look like this and there you have a "rare" footrest !

kpinnc

Then again... someone will fabricate some to look like this and there you have a "rare" footrest !

How true.

Kelly

I have a set on a 701 that are close to them, but they welded them to the frame.

bean

they do look simple to fabricate. looks like angle iron or 1-1/2" square tubing . maybe some diamond tread or expanded metal

CasualObserver

I thought they were never made as well, but there must have been an actual prototype with them.... Enlarge and look closely at picture 1 in the upper right corner. Now, that doesn't mean they were ever sent out of the factory, but it appears (to me anyway) that at least one set existed.

Production records and notes from those early years are virtually non-existent. All we can do is interpret what we find as best we can.

Sent from my Evo 4G with Tapatalk 2

Rooster

I have those, they are indeed rare and for sale.....I swear it is true!

Ok, maybe not...

I did notice the flyer also list rear fenders and tool box as standard equipment, there have been discussions on whether all the Suburbans came with fenders or not before as well.

CasualObserver

The fenders/toolbox were standard on the 550. It's where the battery and solenoid were.

(The optional on the 400 part comes from the other page) :hide:

WEBPHOTOS048.jpg

You can see the whole brochure here--->

Hammerhead

I believe they actually made a few of them. I know one guy that claims to have a set or 2 of them. I tried to buy them sight unseen but we wouldn't sell them. I will still try to buy them but only see him once a year. I already saw him this year, doh! He may be a member here but I am not sure. I will send him a message to see if it is him or not. Maybe he will read this and chime in on the subject. Other than that, the other rare as hens teeth footrest's were made in late 1960 or early 1961 and they are similar to all 1961 footrest's which are the elongated types that mount on a slight angle from the bar, Part # 4200 and 4201. These super rare footrests were Part # 3651-C and they mounted straight off the bar and were a step down type of footrests so the heel of your shoe would set down into it instead of the flat #4200 types. I will start another thread and show some pics of them. KJ

Kelly

KJ you mean foot rest like the ones on my 603, I've only seen a few sets of them, not the best picture but you can see the heel step, and they are straight not angled.

100_0444.jpg

Hammerhead

Another weird thing on this brochure is they got the 400 listed next to the 550 and they list the 550 as a 400, oops. I told a WH friend about that years ago and he didn't think much about it, but I think it's a typo. Now, back to the footrest's, I have a small business card from WH and it shows a guy riding a 1960 machine with these extra heavy duty footrest's like in the Brochure. The guy riding the mower was outside and waving to the envious neighbors! KJ

KJ you mean foot rest like the ones on my 603, I've only seen a few sets of them, not the best picture but you can see the heel step, and they are straight not angled.

100_0444.jpg

Yup, like them! They are cool!