Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Removing Paint over spray form head light lens???

pfrederi

The C-141 I got at a local auction had been the victim of a rattle can attack, including a fair amount of overspray on the plastic headlight lens. I know you can still buy them but they are pushing $30. Any ideas on how to remove most of the paint spray with out destroying the lens??

B-8074

Try WD40.

Coadster32

I think I'd try an automotive headlight repair kit. Stay away from the stuff with alchohol in it, as it might draw out the natural oils in the material and put small cracks the lens. Good luck.

Wheel Horse Kid

I had this same problem with my 312-8's light lenses. Somebody had gotten white over spray on them. I tried many different things and none of them worked, so I thought might as well let it go before I damage them some way. If you find something that works, be sure to let us know!

Duff

I had this same problem with my 312-8's light lenses. Somebody had gotten white over spray on them. I tried many different things and none of them worked, so I thought might as well let it go before I damage them some way. If you find something that works, be sure to let us know!

Taylor, are you talking about the actual lenses or the black plastic bezels that surround them? Unless I'm completely mistaken (which at my age happens all too often!) on a 312-8 the lens is part of the light bulb itself and is made of glass. You can use almost any solvent or stripper on the glass without doing any damage (take the bulbs out of the tractor first!). If it's the plastic bezels, your best bet may be to just take them out and repaint them with flat black.

I'd be curious to know what was being painted white that would have oversprayed onto the tractor. :huhs:

Duff :thumbs:

Wheel Horse Kid

Taylor, are you talking about the actual lenses or the black plastic bezels that surround them? Unless I'm completely mistaken (which at my age happens all too often!) on a 312-8 the lens is part of the light bulb itself and is made of glass. You can use almost any solvent or stripper on the glass without doing any damage (take the bulbs out of the tractor first!). If it's the plastic bezels, your best bet may be to just take them out and repaint them with flat black.

I'd be curious to know what was being painted white that would have oversprayed onto the tractor. :huhs:

Duff :thumbs:

My bad, Duff! Thanks for pointing that out. At my age, you can make mistakes too! I meant to say the black plastic bezels. That is a good idea about repainting them flat black!

I have no idea how the tractor got white paint on it. It was like that when I got it a year ago. My guess is that the previous owner was painting something else that was white, and somehow got overspray on the tractor.

AMC RULES

Easy Off oven cleaner over night in a plastic bag, paint will come off the plastic bezels tomorrow...no sweat involved.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Easy Off oven cleaner over night in a plastic bag, paint will come off the plastic bezels tomorrow...no sweat involved.

Thanks for the great idea! I will have to try it!

Kelly

I've used oven cleaner to strip plastic models, works good, but be sure the lens is not the new style with the decal on the back it will eat the decal, and becarful it don't take the paint off the back of the lens if it's the old style that is painted.

JBow

I have used brake fluid to remove paint from plastic. Works great.

Jack..

546cowboy

Krylon Fusion is a plastic paint that works great.

pfrederi

I must admit I never would have thought of oven cleaner...

Thank you all for the suggestions.

SAM58

Lightly use steel wool....

misling

I've used dishwasher powder in the past to great effect and it doesn't harm plastic or glass.

infernus

I would think some headlight polish would do the trick. Brake fluid isn't a bad idea, either.