Sign in to follow this  
skinne344

1975 D180 transmission

skinne344

I am currently working on my 1975 D180 transmission, I split the rear case and found that the parking pawl has a broken tooth which I found in the bottom of the case. My question is where can I get a parking pawl, Axle seals and I need a gasket for between the two transmission halfs. Any help would be appreciated to get my old tractor moving again.

tommyg

Parking pawl is likely unavailable. You might need to scavenge one from a parted out transmission. Can't say I've ever seen one on Ebay, but perhaps it's because I wasn't looking for one. If there's one tooth left on the existing pawl, are you sure it won't still work? Seems to me that two teeth engage the gear. It's probably a good thing you found the loose tooth. That could have done some damage.

I just ordered a couple axle seals for my d180 from my Toro dealer. They are still available. I have mine split right now and I was planning on making a gasket out of gasket paper for mine when I reassemble. Although, these might still be available from Toro as well. I'd check the website or contact your local dealer.

wheeledhorseman

:text-welcomewave: to RS skinne344 (sorry you didn't give your name) and :woohoo: another owner determined to make his D work as it should again.

You'll find lots of friendly help available here from guys who have overcome many of the challenges involved. Don't forget to post some photos of the work you're doing - it's how we've all learnt a bit from each other.

Re the parking pawl - it's a fairly common issue with the Sundstrand hydrostatic tranny and these can be repaired!

Take a look at meadowfield's thread on his GT14 resto (bottom of first page and into second page).

The pawl was welded back together. If you send him a pm I'm sure he'll tell you how it was done. I seem to remember that you need to use a 'hard' welding rod.

Oh, and Tom, good to see you've 'joined'

Andy

pfrederi

I would guess the parking pawl in this case is different from the one Andy referred you to. In my D and some others I have seen the pawl looks like a curved finger with teeth on the inside of the curve. It would be much harder to repair.

The pawl is NLA but as was said above it should still work missing one tooth. Gasket 5999 and seals 6449 still available from Toro. Seal is also CR 11124

More thoughts on pawl. Looking at parts picture I think you should be able to subsititute the style pawl used in teh GT-14 example (also use in Chargers/Electros) #5966 they are rebuildable and show up from time to time

wheeledhorseman

You are of course right Paul, I've not had to split the tranny on mine but looking at the parts diags in detail Ds had from the start the solid type pawl.

Tom, I came across a thread from November 2011 in which daveoman1966 mentioned having both types of pawl available.

Maybe he still has. Worth a pm?

Andy

JamesBe1

Welcome to RedSquare Skinne334.

I'd like to add in addition to the great information given above, that it might be worth considering leaving the parking pawl out completely. Given their propensity for breaking and sometimes getting caught up in the gears and breaking the case, it might be good insurance to leave it out.

skinne344

Thanks for all the information, I ordered new seals and a gasket. Hope to be reassembling soon.

1maidenfan

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs::woohoo::happy-jumpeveryone:

:wwp::text-worthless::party:

:text-welcomewave:

Would agree with JamesBe1 if its broke leave it out!