Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

what year?

plowmaster

i think its called the attach o matic, i cant be sure as my 416 isnt here. im asking because of the raider 12 thread, my charger has the same hookup as the 416, is it original or not, it sure looks it, the paint has the same fade, axle has the worn groove, and it has the same wear on it as the rest of the tractor. i think the serial numbers show my charger is a 69. 1-7241 588613

so what year did they change, and what is the earlier type?

thanks.

another question, i got the deck on the charger from the 416, and it really bogs the engine, and the belt seems to be a bit too tight. is there anything i should know in regards to fitment?

sorry for all the questions, im still a newbie. this is just such a good place for information, its hard to stop.

you guys got any farmin questions or IH questions let me know, i need to return the favor!

thanks again folks!

dgjks6

Ok - this gets a little complicated, but

originally the tractor had a 85551 for the front hitch, this was the old style, but there is also a "speed hitch" - 85211 - which is no longer available, but it looks just like the attach o matic from the 1971 diagram - and the decks recommended for the "speed hitch" are the new decks for the attach o matic.

So you probably have a speed hitch - which is why the deck from the 416 fits.

As far as the deck bogging down - what deck did you put on it?

And do you have the mule drive where you can adjust the tension of the belt?

You tractor is listed as 12hp and this may be bogging down if you have a 48 inch deck. There is some debate about whether a 12hp motor can pull a 48 inch deck.

I thinkt his information is correct. If anyone has anything else let me know.

Greg

plowmaster

yes, this is the deck from the four sixteen

runs great on the old charger twelve.

so what am i doing wrong?

Teddy da Bear

I am confused.

First you said it was bogging down on the Charger.

Then in your last post you said it was running great?

I have a 48" deck on my Raider 10. Runs and cuts really nice.

But if you get into 8 to 10 inch grass it will slow the rotation

of the deck. I can compensate with more throttle, but that

is an additional and unwanted strain on the motor.

The only thing I can think of is that your charger 12 is bogging

down because the grass is too thick/tall or the motor is

weak. (A good 12hp motor is not weak, but perhaps yours is).

plowmaster

I am confused.

First you said it was bogging down on the Charger.

Then in your last post you said it was running great?

I have a 48" deck on my Raider 10. Runs and cuts really nice.

But if you get into 8 to 10 inch grass it will slow the rotation

of the deck. I can compensate with more throttle, but that

is an additional and unwanted strain on the motor.

The only thing I can think of is that your charger 12 is bogging

down because the grass is too thick/tall or the motor is

weak. (A good 12hp motor is not weak, but perhaps yours is).

dont worry, im confused too.

yesterday after i tuned the carb i went to engage the deck and it smoked the clutch, got under there to see the problem and the blades spun freely, i engaged it again and the deck took right off.

ive come to the conclusion that there must be a flat spot on one of the belts, and having it sit or stop there on that spot, along with the deck not having run in several years, strained the clutch enough to make it slip. i have since serviced and cleaned the deck up and found no bad spots on the belt.

this is a strong motor, i need to get a post up with some pics so i can get it to charge the battery.

thanks again for all the help

dont worry, im confused too.

yesterday after i tuned the carb i went to engage the deck and it smoked the clutch, got under there to see the problem and the blades spun freely, i engaged it again and the deck took right off.

ive come to the conclusion that there must be a flat spot on one of the belts, and having it sit or stop there on that spot, along with the deck not having run in several years, strained the clutch enough to make it slip. i have since serviced and cleaned the deck up and found no bad spots on the belt.

this is a strong motor, i need to get a post up with some pics so i can get it to charge the battery.

thanks again for all the help

Teddy da Bear

I personally have never heard of a flat spot in a belt.

I do know that a slipping belt will "glaze" and get hard on the surface.

Either your belt is too loose or your deck spindles are not turning freely.

I know you said you checked the blades. But you should check them without any belts on.

Take off all of your belts including the belt drive from the tractor.

Turn your blades each individually by hand (careful not to cut yourself).

If they do not spin freely like a top.....something is wrong. The bearing might be bad and should be checked. Also check for "wobble" in each blade. I am not speaking of rotating wobble. More of a stationary is my bearing out...wobble. Grab each blade and try to get it to move (not rotate). There should be no wobble....the bearings hold the shaft tightly.

Check also that each belt pulley is not jammed against the top of the deck. If a pulley does not run true it can contact the mounting bolts on the deck surface.

This can be caused by a bend in the deck itself.

Keep us up to date.

Good luck.