kpinnc

Toro Groundsmaster

kpinnc

I picked up a mower this weekend that was described as a "candidate for the scrap heap" by the previous owner. My thinking when he called me was that it MAY have been a Wheel Horse, because most people don't know the difference these days.

It does indeed need some work, at least as far as the deck is concerned. I'm always amazed at just how few people understand that the covers to the spindles MUST be removed at least occasionally and cleaned out, but that's just a personal grip of mine.

Anyway, after removing the seat, panels, and fuel tank- then a good pressure washing, the old P220G sputtered it's way back to life. Replacing a spark plug and wire made her purr like a kitten at idle and scream like a banshee at WOT. Of course, this was after completely bypassing the entire wiring harness and making up a new one. Start, run, and off are the only three settings with no safety interlocks working just yet. I do plan to re-wire the seat and PTO switch, so that when the deck is engaged a body must be on the tractor, just because I've seen what happens when an unmanned tractor gets a mind of it's own...

A quick change of an idler pulley made the deck quiet again (which just happened to be an exact duplicate of the hydro idler on any other 500-series Wheel Horse), and the blades turned again for the first time in years. Even with blades that are as dull on the front as they are on the back, it has a beautiful cut, and 62 inches on every pass will definitely reduce the amount of seat time I assure you...

My only complaint is the fuel economy. I put $5 worth of gas in it and got about 25 minutes run time. I guess now I know why it has a 6.5-gallon fuel tank!

At least I can let my beloved Wheel Horses take a break now. They will only be used as a backup if this one is out of service. It's not pretty, but it sure does do exactly what it was built for.

SDC13219.jpg

Yeah, that's a temporary battery strapped on the fender. I didn't have another one small enough for the battery box... The seat is on loan from the parts pile, just until the suspension seat is fixed for it.

SDC13222.jpg

• Like 1

rydogg

The groundsmaster mowers are a great grass cutting machine I was using an older model 52 and loved it yours must be a model 62 since it has a 60" deck they also made a model 72. These go around trees and obstacles like a zero turn and you can get attachments (snowblower, sweeper). I recently upgraded and got a Proline 120 which is just a newer groundsmaster with a 20hp kohler twin this one came into a local shop and the owner said the blades turned slowly rather than getting it fixed he purchased a new zero turn when I got it home and removed the covers the grass/dirt was packed so tightly that it was causing the belt to slip and the blades would barely turn I cleaned it up and gave it a good greasing now it mows great and the deck is quiet. Since I am the only one using this mower I leave the deck covers off for easier cleaning. Parts are easy to find new or used from a Toro dealer or ebay.

craigslist394.jpg

wheelhorse242.jpg

• Like 1

300zx

I like the fact that they have the oil filter and oil cooler outside the tins of the Onan. My neighbor has one with 4000 hours on a P248 and we put a P220 in it from a Wheel Horse. We had to modify the tins some and hook up the hoses for the oil cooler and filter to make it work, but all came out fine. It had been on a golf course before he got it.

John

kpinnc

yours must be a model 62 since it has a 60" deck

Yes, it is a 62-inch deck. I can turn around 180 degrees and never miss a single blade of grass. The manual claims something like a 15-inch turning radius (I'm guessing measured at the wheels), but at the deck it's zero. Still trying to get used to the rear end swinging out from underneath me though. Driving it will take some getting used to for sure.

That Proline has the engine mounted sideways in there. Does it use a 90-degree gear box there too?

I like the fact that they have the oil filter and oil cooler outside the tins of the Onan.

I like the oil cooler and remote filter as well. Mine has 2400 hours on it, and it runs crazy smooth with no smoke or strange noises at all. I've seen them for sale with almost 5000 hours on them, so this combination may have worked very well.

Having seen what an Onan in a Wheel Horse often does due to heat, I think the oil cooler and remote filter is a definite help.

jay in nc

nice unit kevin. i havent forgoten about the beltguard pattern , i will get it out soon Jay

bowtiebutler956

The Groundmasters are beasts! I have a 325D that I'm going through right now. It has a 25hp Mitsubishi diesel, and a 72" deck. Here is a pick of it. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-35623500-1342563498.jpg

post-6076-0-37383200-1342563529.jpg

post-6076-0-12646200-1342563552.jpg

post-6076-0-35137500-1342563574.jpg

kpinnc

Wow Matt, that's a big machine. That deck seems a bit more "centered" on the tractor than mine is. My deck "dips" a bit more than I like when the left wheel drops into a low spot, and that's the offset side for me. My 220 will supposedly run a 72-inch deck, but I guess 62 will have to be enough for now. I can't imagine mowing with something that large in my yard. The 62 is quite a bit to get used to, but i'm sure that just the way these things drive has a bit to do with it. They aren't just large, they are faster than anything I'm used to mowing with.

There is a diesel Groundsmaster down the street from my house that looks like a D.O.T. fork truck. It's HUGE! Looks like it could mow a football field in just a couple passes.

bowtiebutler956

I have'nt mowered with it much yet, but what little I did, it is going to take some getting used to. None of my wifes plants or flowers will be safe for awhile. :ychain: Currently this monster is spred all over my shop, getting a good working class resto. It will be getting repainted, but it will be far from perfect cosmetically. However, mechanically it will be tip top. The hydro was leaking, but worked great, and has been resealed. The deck will be getting all new bearings, and there is a fair amount of rewiring that needs to be done, as somebody butchered the safety interlocks. I'll post some pics soon of its current state. Yours looks to be in great shape! :thumbs:

kpinnc

Thanks Matt. It's in fair shape, but like yours the electrical was a nightmare. Luckily, mine was pretty easy to rewire from scratch. The seat and transmission interlock switches are still good, so the "neutral" switch will go in the start circuit (solenoid close), and the seat switch will go in the ignition circuit. It won't be factory, but it will work the same general way. Both switches are normally closed, and my ignition is battery type (constant 12VDC on the coil), so it will work fine that way. I'm not a big fan of interlocks, because some manufacturers go too far- but I appreciate shutting a machine off when the driver leaves the seat.

The worst part of this machine is that the PO never removed the deck covers, so years of clippings have made several places in the deck that will need to be cut out and replaced. The section where the idler/ tensioner is located just happens to be the worst spot. Last night I broke the belt because it was too loose and I didn't want to risk breaking the idler by making an adjustment. I took a chance mowing with it as-is, and it will cost me $40 for a new belt. My winter project will be an overhaul of the deck.

For mowing at least, it's still an awesome machine. I can't wait to get all the bugs worked out.

TT

Here's "my" 325D ~ used where I work (country club / golf course) for trimming under trees, etc.

It's a 1995 and is slowly approaching 6000 hours with no major repairs. (and it gets used hard)

072012workmisc013.jpg

072012workmisc012.jpg

This is our big mower (120" cut) :

072012workmisc003.jpg

In transport mode:

072012workmisc010.jpg

bowtiebutler956

That is a BiiiiiiiiiiiiiiG Mower!! Here are a couple of pics of mine in pieces in the shop. Getting things cleaned up, fixed up, and ready for paint. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-73818200-1342837223_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-63051300-1342837262_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-79288000-1342837324_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-45488700-1342837380_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-33719700-1342837421_thumb.jp

rydogg

yours must be a model 62 since it has a 60" deck

Yes, it is a 62-inch deck. I can turn around 180 degrees and never miss a single blade of grass. The manual claims something like a 15-inch turning radius (I'm guessing measured at the wheels), but at the deck it's zero. Still trying to get used to the rear end swinging out from underneath me though. Driving it will take some getting used to for sure.

That Proline has the engine mounted sideways in there. Does it use a 90-degree gear box there too?

The only 90 degree gearbox on this one is on the deck, everything is belt driven it is a very efficient easy to maintain and repair system Toro was pretty good at making these easy to maintain I can do all the belt changes without having to lay on the ground. My only problem with the newer units is that the engines don't seem to last as long. The rear swing does take some getting used to I slammed the rear of my model 52 into a few trees but these things are tanks it will do more damage to the tree than to the machine.

bowtiebutler956

I've been working on mine, and it won't be long untill its ready now. I feel bad for all the plants, and anything else that gets in my way untill I get used to the size of this monster! :ychain:

post-6076-0-10799600-1346277505_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-35265600-1346277552_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-75644400-1346277595_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-99478600-1346277632_thumb.jp

kpinnc

Looks really nice! I changed the front tires, and painted the wheels, but that's it so far. I wish my deck was in that good of shape. I had to cut out several places and weld in 1/4 inch plate to repair it, and flat bar all over the front to reinforce some results of bad driving. Pretty sure I added about 75lbs to it. Luckily these decks are made from flat plate almost all over them, so repairs don't look like repairs after a coat of paint.

Then I picked up an almost new Ferris 61-inch deck with a bent baffle for $40. Amazing what people will get rid of rather than fix these days. I had it back to new condition in less than an hour, and I didn't even scratch the paint. I wish I had found it prior to doing all the work on the 62, because it would have been far easier to modify the Ferris deck to work on the Toro than fix the old one.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your progress!

bowtiebutler956

Looks really nice! I changed the front tires, and painted the wheels, but that's it so far. I wish my deck was in that good of shape. I had to cut out several places and weld in 1/4 inch plate to repair it, and flat bar all over the front to reinforce some results of bad driving. Pretty sure I added about 75lbs to it. Luckily these decks are made from flat plate almost all over them, so repairs don't look like repairs after a coat of paint.

Then I picked up an almost new Ferris 61-inch deck with a bent baffle for $40. Amazing what people will get rid of rather than fix these days. I had it back to new condition in less than an hour, and I didn't even scratch the paint. I wish I had found it prior to doing all the work on the 62, because it would have been far easier to modify the Ferris deck to work on the Toro than fix the old one.

Thanks. My deck had a really bad corner as well, and like you, I welded 1/4 plate to it for the repair. My deck also look like it has upside down hail damage. Someone must have been trying to mow a rock garden :banghead: , but thats ok, it is just a worker. I'lll post some pics of my deck repair when I get a chance. Thats a fantastic deal you got on that Ferris deck :woohoo: . Ferris makes a HD deck, and I bet it would work great on the Toro with a little work. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Here are a couple more pics of the progress, along with a pic of the patch I put on the deck. Its ugly, but I pity the tree that tries to take this corner out now! :ychain:

post-6076-0-18903200-1346535322_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-65910500-1346535386_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-67334400-1346535429_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-71323500-1346535477_thumb.jp

• Excellent 1

TT

That there's a purdy machine! :handgestures-thumbup:

What do you think of those two nearly-inaccessible grease fittings on the PTO shaft?

One of these days I'm going to get some extension hoses for on the one at work. :eusa-whistle:

bowtiebutler956

That there's a purdy machine! :handgestures-thumbup:

What do you think of those two nearly-inaccessible grease fittings on the PTO shaft?

One of these days I'm going to get some extension hoses for on the one at work. :eusa-whistle:

I agree with you TT, those two little holes in the frame aren't really adiquate for getting to those zirks. :banghead: I noticed in the pics of your 325D, that you don't have any counterweights on the back. How do you keep the rear on the ground with the deck raised. Even with the weight, this one will raise the rear if you stop to quickly. I think I'm going to have the rear tires filled for extra weight. :thumbs:

TT

"Ours" never did have the extra rear weights, but they should technically have two. That's the main reason that the rear axle on ours was broke twice. :disgust:

I tell everyone who runs it to leave the deck on the ground unless they absolutely have to raise it.

R&R Products in AZ sells some aftermarket parts for these machines. I just bought a front fork, wheel bearing kits, and rear caster wheel assemblies from them for a fraction of Toro's cost.

Not sure if you're at this stage yet, but I run B69 belts on the deck. If I remember correctly, the OEM deck belts cross to a B70, but I don't have as much adjustment.

• Like 2

kpinnc

Wow that mower looks nice!

What a BEAST!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Well, other than one hood decal thats on back order, its done. This thing will mow a large area in a hurry! :jaw: It mows great. I even added a chrome exhaust pipe. :ROTF:

post-6076-0-82939000-1347139460_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-92978000-1347139529_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-83621100-1347139572_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-54097700-1347139607_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-47979600-1347139649_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

The thing looks brand new, think we'll see an action video at some point Matt?

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

The thing looks brand new, think we'll see an action video at some point Matt?

I suppose I could do a video of me mowing some dead grass, and dirt. :ROTF: We really need some rain, so I can see what this thing is really made of. :thumbs:

TheAnonymousThomas

I own a Toro Groundsmaster 220 and all I have left to fix it is to get the belt on properly. Does anyone have a Picture of their belt set up for a 60" deck? Thanks a TON!