Sign in to follow this  
Terry M

H60 tecumseh problem

Terry M

Yesterday I got my new lawn ranger running like a champ. what I did first before starting the engine was I replaced the points/condenser with a new set, new spark plug,brand new carb,new fuel line with new filter , and an oil change.

The next thing I did was verifie a nice spark( had no spark before the tune-up)and put some fresh gas in the tank. Never touched the 16 year old battery. when trying to start the Engine popped on the first pull, started on the second pull and ran really nice. was able to push the choke all the way in right away and away I went driving it around the yard. Then I let my son andrew drive it and he went 5 times around the yard. All together it ran for about 20 minutes. the last thing we did was drive it in the garage and shut it off with the ignition key.

Now the bad part.....Today I went to try starting it and it popped once and never started. found out that there was no spark. replaced the plug, no spark. Checked the point gap, removed the ignition ground wire, no spark. replaced the points, the condencer (again) no spark. checked every connection,inspected every wire and anything else I could think of .....no spark. I've read some recent topics on timing on Tecumsehs but would that cause no spark? The only thing I can think of is...would running an electric start tecumseh with a 16 year old dead dry battery cause some problems? I've heard of engines with electric charging coils (like mine) that run without a functioning good battery could cause some problems with causing electrical component damage??

Any comments or helpful suggestions appriciated, Thanks

Fordiesel69

Your coil has failed, or the shutoff wire is shorted on some sheet metal. It can just be "time" for the coil to give up.....

An old battery will just turn the engine slower, and wear the starter if it is too low. But has nothing to do with your problem.

Terry M

Thanks, thats something more to check-out tomorrow.

Terry M

today I completely removed shut off wire, rechecked everything and no spark. :scratchead: I guess my next option is to look into the coil. anybody know if replacements are available for a 1967 H60? I'll look at ebay and parts tree. any comments appriciated.

Terry

horse700special

If I am right, a 12volt automotive coil will work. I just picked one up at Advance Auto for $13.00/tax, order online with code P20 for 20percent off and pickup in store. Lifetime warranty also. Works like a champ on my Kohler...

sorekiwi

I think Terry is trying to get his Ranger running on the mag on the H60?

No spark from the mag has got to be something to do with the points, condenser, sparkplug, coil or the wiring in between the components.

There are resistance checks you can do on the coil to see if that is still good. I dont remember the details but a search should find something. Or a cry for help to Chuck (SOI)!!

Terry M

OK, ordered new coil to put on the stator. if that doesn't work I'll need to go back to the drawing board. maybe I can draw a picture of an engine that runs :scratchead: . boy ,these horses can drink the $$$ right out of your hand.

bowtiebutler956

OK, ordered new coil to put on the stator. if that doesn't work I'll need to go back to the drawing board. maybe I can draw a picture of an engine that runs :scratchead: . boy ,these horses can drink the $$$ right out of your hand.

Terry, being that its a magneto, if your points are good, and the wire from the points to the coil is good, and they are not being grounded, then it has to be your coil. If you recall my thread "Standard Tractor" I had a similar problem with the old Briggs 9FB. After I got the tractor all rebuilt, it ran great for awhile, and then it just lost fire. It was the old 60 year old coil. Although, mine didn't loose it fire all together, if you let is sit overnight, then it would startin the morning, and run for about 5 minutes, and loose its fire. The new coil ended my problem, and I'm sure it will end yours. If it doesn't, well it should have. :dunno: Magnetos are a very simple ignition, and there is not a whole lot that can go wrong. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

bowtiebutler956

I meant to say you should check the wire from the points to the coil, and make sure that when the points are open, that the circut is not grounded. :thumbs:

Terry M

I agree. when my coil arrives I'm going to clean and inspect everything when I install the coil. I'll also do a check on the wire from the points to the coil. thanks for the help and I let you know what happens.

Terry M

Just to let everbody know that the H60 tecumseh lives again! The coil was the problem . Thanks for the advice. My kids thank you too!!

IMG_0337.MOV

IMG_0340.MOV

IMG_0341.MOV

bowtiebutler956

Thats great news Terry!! Glad its running. :woohoo: I couldn't make the videos play. :dunno:

Terry M

Thats great news Terry!! Glad its running. :woohoo: I couldn't make the videos play. :dunno:

Sorry about the videos... I thought they would work, sorry. Still trying to figure out my wifes new apple computer. When I do I'll resend them.