Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

What wheel horse model is this???

Teddy da Bear

I have this one and only picture of this wheel horse tractor.

Found it in a sale. Wonder if it can be identified by this picture???

Thanks for any help.

Attached Image

post-3-1216343644.jpg

Sparky

It a 1054 or a 953 or a 1054A.

Mike..........

Rollerman

Mike looks to be a 1964 1054 or a 65 1054A

It may be a 1963 953...but I'd bet on a 1054 variation.

They were a 3 speed 10HP Kohler power tractor with high clearance front axle & larger front tires.

It's Large frame tractors and had there own mower deck setup unique to them.

They have a hydraulic lift setup thats pretty nice for plowing snow or turning gardens too.

Your neighbor Duke has a few of them.

Teddy da Bear

Thanks fellas...

I was thinking it looked a little like a 953 from the picture gallery..

I will consider picking it up.

Thank you again.

DMESS

Based on the tire combo, (particularly the wide fronts) it's a 1965 model 1054A.

Kelly

I'm not sure but was told that the 953 was the only year they used the off white knobs for thottle and choke, my parts 953 are off white, but mine has the narrow front tires

Teddy da Bear

I was looking more closely at the picture gallery.

I was looking in particular at the 1054 fenders and the 953 fenders.

The picture of the 1054 has a squared off fender with a lip edge bend.

The picture of the unknown tractor is slightly rounded with no bent lip edge.

Also the seat looks like a 953.

Interesting observation from you Kelly... If that fact about the throttle and choke knobs is true....then this looks like a 953.

If I can get it cheap enough... I will pick it up.

Thanks guys.... Too bad the hood is off in the picture as I believe that is where they put the model decal on some of these.

DMESS

Nothing different between the 953, 1054, and 1054A fenders. They are the same. As far as the control knob color, Our 953 and 1054A were both off white. The 953 was early enough to have the Ross steering box (8xx serial number if I recall) and of course the 1054A would be towards the end of production. The hood will have the model decal on it but the "A"s never received there own unique decal. They simply said "1054".

Teddy da Bear

What make the 1054A an "A"??? Just the production number?

DMESS

From what I know the only difference is the wheel and tire combo. Although someone at Wheel Horse (Toro) can problably decipher the serial numbers, they won't mean much as far as identifying it as a 1054 or 1054A.

Check the IPL's out. The the 1054 and 1054A ARE listed seperately if you want to compare them.

wh500special

Does anyone know when the "Work Horse" decals were applied to the 1054? Were they used on the late ones, perhaps? Other than substituting "work" for "wheel", the decals were the same as used on the normal tractor of this style.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who has seen those decals....most all of the 953/1054's I've seen are labeled as "Wheel Horses", but I have seen a couple that were labeled "Work Horse". I never noted serial numbers, but it looked like the one that recently sold in Villa Park, IL on eBay (couple weeks ago) also said "Work Horse"

Steve

DMESS

Steve, I have seen a few with the "Work Horse" decals. They were 1054's, but I have no ide on serial number range. B)

oldandred

Thanks for any help.

If the id tag is still on the engine look and see if its a 9.5 hp that was on the 953 and ten hp was on tyhe 1054 and 1054A

I have both and the 1054A is a strong and heavy tractor

linen beige

I've seen "Work Horse" decals on all three models. My 1054a has the off white control knobs. The 953 headlight lenses pushed into the bezels, the 1054 and 1054a mounted around the outside of the bezels. The 1054a had the wider front tires and turf tires on the back. The 1054a used a different transmission from the other two, but I don't know if the difference was visible from the outside as they used the same case. I think the 953 had an oval shaped steering wheel insert and the 1054 and 1054a were round, but the replacement part #s are the same. however, the 953 does have an insert decal listed that may be oval shaped?

Teddy da Bear

Linen,

You say that the tranny on a 1054A is different than a 953 or 1054?

Do you have anymore info on that difference? I can look for i.d. numbers

or post more pics if I know what to look for and photograph.

We already eliminated it as a 953......but the tranny difference is intriguing.

What about the owners manual I got? Or did they use the same manual for 1054 & 1054A?

Actually I am not certain this is an owner's manual. It says "operation and service manual". Is that the same thing?

linen beige

Mike, The WH transmission repair manual shows the 953 using model #5045, the 1054 # 5047 and the 1054a #5051. However, the manual doesn't show any drawings of any of them. It only mentions them and does not cover them in the repair section.

The operation and service manual is the owner's manual and there were different manuals for each model. To add to confusion, the manual for the 1054a has a parts breakdown and drawing for the model 5047 transmission?

It could be that the model number differences denote an internal change of nothing more than a bearing or number of splines on a shaft, etc. I don't have access to a 1054 or 953 so I can't make first hand comparisons.

I've seen references to there being differences in the hydro lift pumps during the run of these three models, but I don't know what the change was or when it took place.

Teddy da Bear

On the back page there is an isometric drawing and the title at the bottom reads as follows:

5047 TRANSMISSION PARTS LIST (1054 TRACTOR)

Often when they put a item/tractor in parenthasese....it is indicated to not cause confusion with a similar item/tractor.

I went to look for numbers on the tranny....could not find any.....does not mean they are not there though.

I am glad you have found a difference between the 1054 and 1054A.

CHARGER9AUTO

Thanks for any help.

Mike, I have a '63 953 I'm lucky I've found one for sale in CT for $375 my dad and I put a new Connecting Rod in the Kohler K-241S . The Voltage - Regulator was no Good so I've picked one brand new from Blue Mountain Small Engine at the show for $75 and another 953 key switch on / off from Bill Jenkins with two prong key . Ben B)

Rollerman

Mike I'm with you...this is interesting.

As a former 953 owner I can tell you they used a differant type of steering & the HYD pump was differant too. "the return spring will not interchange between the 953 & 1054"

I have heard of a few differential failures in the 953 do to the spider gears breaking?

It's possible they went to the pinion style diff in 64 & 65?

Teddy da Bear

Stephen, Someone earlier mentioned it used a Ross steering box.....I think that is what they said.

And thanks for that info Ben. I will remember (or try) if I have a problem with a voltage regulator.

Mike (Sparky) has so graciously offered me a key for the 1054A. You da man!!

Funny how I remember seeing one years ago as a kid. Likely one of my dad's.

Now where did he put that??? B)