Sign in to follow this  
thedeb

Trying to date Pond RS-83

thedeb

Hi I'm trying to date an early Wheel Horse pond rs-83 http://s1142.photobu.../n613/thedebma/

The magneto is WICO model y, spec, XH1995 Ser # 946874, impulse range 29 Engine Mfg# Y-62

This tractor came from the original owner that was 98, he used it until he was 97. His family wanted him to sell it because he was having trouble getting around. He was a great guy, this was his pride and joy. I purchased it 3 years ago. The first picture is of the original owner, he died 4 months after he sold it to me. His family sent me a brochure they found in the house when they were cleaning it out after he passed away. I don't know when/how he got it. The hood on mine has a pipe coming from it that isn't in the ad. He told me it was a Demo model that the dealer had it before they could be ordered? I'm not sure exactly how that worked. . (Picture 2) He told me he bought it around 1949? I'm not sure if he added the hood later or not.

• Like 5

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square Deb...here are your pictures... :) Guys, I do not think she is trying to sell this...caught her in chat and with the help of a few others was able to help out. She will come on her and let you know what she wants to know...enjoy the pictures.

018.jpg

009.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 2

whfan74

Great looking machine and welcome to the Square!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looks to be in incredible original condition too Deb.

:WRS:

Hammerhead

Welcome to Redsquare and what a great looking tractor! Please don't paint it, it is better off left in "as found" original condition. Good luck with it, it is in super nice condition. Great peice of Wheel Horse history to be preserved as is. Kind of like an old gun, if you clean it up too much, it kills the value. Thanks for sharing the pics. My 2 cents...KJ

• Like 1

stevebo

The patina on that sr is PERFECT !!!! What a nice find. Welcome ..

Jake Kuhn

That is one really nice senior! I agree, it should be left original. Jake

Kelly

I have to agree, don't restore it, not that you are going to, but this one is a very nice orig. machine you are very lucky to own it.

VinsRJ

Looks like a great tractor! I say do what you want with it... leave it be or restore.

thedeb

I don't want to restore it, it was used on a regular basis, but always stored in a barn by it's original owner...he used it until he was 98. It's been in my barn for 3 years since I bought it. There was a guy I contacted back then about it, and he told me exactly what you have to keep it just the way it is and be careful of the fiberglass hood. I know I was lucky to find it, it was in our local paper as an "old tractor for sale". I hadn't had much info about wheel horse tractors at the time. I had an antique farmall cub, but it was so different I loved it.

• Like 1

wh500special

That really is a nice looking original machine! Congrats on the purchase and for keeping it together in that condition. I'm really impressed by the collection of implements you have to go with it. I'd love to get a dozer like that for mine!

Anyway, it looks like you were looking to date the tractor...

The Pond boys didn't really serialize their early equipment, so it's mostly conjecture as to what year the early stuff was built. The best bet in ruling something out would be to reference the build date of the engine. There's no guarantee that the engine date matches the tractors's, but you can be probably certain that if the engine was - for example - a 1955 year that the tractor isn't a 1954. You can pull a serial number from the Wisconsin AENL engine and try to run it down...check this website for a first crack at it: http://wisconsinmoto..._serial_search/ . If that doesn't work out, I'm sure we can help.

The number you have is actually for the magneto on the engine (the part that breathes fire into the ignition system). The engine serial number is "somewhere" else. To be completely honest, I have never paid enough attention to the RS-83 I own to tell you where the data plate is.

Chances are that the tractor is a 1954 or 1955. Last time I heard from the guys who really know about these things (Bob "whlpony" and Larry from Evansville, IN) it was pretty much assumed that Wheel Horse only built these in 1953-1955. The oldest one thought to have been identified was a 1953 - based on the engine - and that belonged at one time to Stephen (Rollerman). If I had to make a bet, I'd say your tractor is a 1954.

Welcome aboard! You do realize this is merely your first Wheel Horse don't you?

Steve

• Like 2

SousaKerry

Wisconsin Engines should have a large aluminum name plate on the engine shrouds. Even if the paint is gone there will be numbers stamped into it.

thedeb

the magneto dates to sept 1947 serial number is 946874 but I think the original owner told me it was a demo model when he bought it. I don't know the engine date, I will post it when I take the hood off.

c161rat

Now that is a sweet looking tractor.....Enjoy that awesome piece of machinery!!!!!!!!

noneya

You used the serial number off the magneto.....you need the number off the blower housing.....have to remove the hood to get to it.

jcb857

From the info I have read on the RS-83 they manufactured them from 1948 - 1956. The 1955 and 56 model was available with or without the fiberglass hood. I got that info from sraight from the horse's mouth second edition. So if the serial number your wisconsin engine dates back to 1947 then it could be a early 1948 model. Now the 1948 model did not come with a hood but you say it was a demo so how long did the dealer have it before he sold it? That is unknown. So the person could have bought it without the hood and bought a hood when they came available in 1955 that is also unknown. I am not that familiar with the diffrent yaer RS - 83 models and I am assuming that the frames of the 48 and 55,56 frames are the same.

noneya

Once again, the serial number he used was off the mag.....that is not a 47 engine!!!

Wheel Horse Kid

Welcome to RedSquare! Nice looking Senior and I am also impressed by your great collection of attachments!

thedeb

Thanks!

thedeb

I checked under the hood (pics are all in the first post) photobucket.

the engine dates to jan 1955 serial number 2404931

• Like 1

thedeb

Mystery Solved thanks to your help...it's a 1955. I posted pics in the first post (photobucket). Pics of the decal too. Thanks for your help I had no idea how easy it was to take the hood off. The year coordinates with the brochure the family gave me following the owners death.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Glad you figured it out Deb...maybe you can display it at one of the tractor shows in your area. I know I would like to see it. :)

AMC RULES

Awesome piece of :wh: history right there, thanks for sharing the photobucket link Deb.

clemedc

Awesome tractor Deb

thedeb

Thanks!