Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Stihl 009L 2.5CID Chain Saw

nylyon

I have a Muculloh chain saw which is okay. It stalls quite a bit I have to choke it to turn it off but overall is okay. Today I was given (free) a Stihl 009L Chainsaw. I was told it needed a "good tuneup". All I have to say is a Stihl running on year old gas, needing a good tuneup outperforms a Muculloh even when the Muculloh was new!

What a HUGH difference a good chain saw makes, hopefully there's enough trees to cut down to heat my house this winter. B)

DMESS

Karl, I have two Stihl products and I am quite pleased with both of them. Neither are very old, but they perform great and have been trouble free. If and when I need a saw it will be the first brand I consider. B)

oldandred

I have a Muculloh chain saw which is okay. It stalls quite a bit I have to choke it to turn it off but overall is okay. Today I was given (free) a Stihl 009L Chainsaw. I was told it needed a "good tuneup". All I have to say is a Stihl running on year old gas, needing a good tuneup outperforms a Muculloh even when the Muculloh was new!

What a HUGH difference a good chain saw makes, hopefully there's enough trees to cut down to heat my house this winter. B)

Karl I too have three stihl saws one 16" one20" and one that gets me out of trouble 40" now ita a old saw but works as good as a new one as well as the otheres and I heat with wood Ive had these about nine years with no problems and they cut any thing I put them on with out cutting out.

hope this helps

perry

ran all stihl saw's when i worked for my buddys tree service.

i still see him about twice a month and he still is running my favorite saw the stihl wood boss after 7 years. and it was old when i started working there.

the 009 is a climbing saw i think. not to sure thou, they change some numbers around from when i was using them everyday.

KyBlue

Stihl has some awesome products. I do have to admidt that when shopping for my Kombi Motor I had a bad experience with one of the stihl dealers, well after stihl looked into it, they pulled their rights to sell stihl products. I am very impressed (and I was not the only one that day who had issues at this dealer)

Karl your freebie sounds sweet!!

T-Mo

I have a Stihl MS210C, which is a consumer grade model. It's great, but can be hard to start at times. B)

Jim_M

I have 4 Stihl saws and have never had a problem with any of them.

I heat my house with wood so they get used a lot, although my favorite one and the one that gets used the most is an 028 super with an 18" bar.

I bought the first one in 1984 (the o28 super) and other than normal maintenance parts it's still original and still starts on the second pull every time.

nylyon

I had a tree which had fallen so I took the Stihl to it. What a pleasure to use a good tool. Can't believe that this was free.

Jim_M

A stihl won't wear you out like a McCulloch will. They don't vibrate as much.

I happened to think of something. You said your Mac stalls a lot. Have you ever cleaned the muffler and exhaust port? They're known for clogging mufflers.

TT

Stihl products are excellent, Karl. I know a fellow who has owned the same saw (029, I think) for 14 years now, and he isn't very nice to it. B) It's about near the end of its life, but it has treated him well - and he cuts enough wood to heat an old 2 story house every year.

I had a Husqvarna 55 for a while and absolutely loved it. I ended up selling it when the previously mentioned fellow started pestering me to help him cut wood. B)

I'm down to two saws now since I sold the 1947 Mall model 7 two-man about 3 years ago. I have a Homelite 250 that hasn't been started in probably 3 or 4 years, and spotless (for a chainsaw) David Bradley/Sears 18" saw from about 1967-68.

The Homelite isn't worth pictures, but I think the DB is. B)

DBsaw003.jpg

DBsaw001.jpg

DBsaw005.jpg

DBsaw004.jpg

Anyone want to buy it? B) No reasonable offer refused. (yeah, it'll run. :whistle: )

KyBlue

TT thats a helluva piece of history youve got there!! Thats impressive to look at, and a bet its a Beast to use too!