Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

520 electrical question

6wheeler

My 520 has developed an issue. First when I went to get it the battery was dead. I jumped it with the 165 and brought it up to the garage. The amp meter said it wasn't charging. So, I go to dig into her electrical innards and find a loose wire and the 30amp fuse is loose in the holder with obvious arcing burns on the blades. I take a pick and clean up the fuse spades and squeeze em back a little tighter. Put in a new fuse and charge up the battery. I fired it up and now its charging 16v on the meter. I mowed with it and it came down to around (what I think) would be around 141/2 to 15. I guess I really don't know what it should show. I would guess around 13+. It doesn't seem to be boiling the battery so I wonder if the meter may be reading high. Where would I put my multi meter in the wiring harness to check such an issue? thanks Pat

Save Old Iron

A voltmeter across the tractor volt gauge will check the accuracy of the tractor gauge. This is a good starting point if you are using the tractor volt gauge as your reference. Hopefully the tractor gauge will be within .25 to .50 volt agreement with the multimeter. Some I have checked were off by nearly 1 volt - not good.

torovoltmeter09.jpg

torovoltmeter10.jpg

torovoltmeter11.jpg

torovoltmeter13.jpg

A voltmeter across the battery terminals will determine if the voltage regulator is setting the proper charge voltage to the battery. The voltage across a properly charging battery in a running tractor will be over 13.8 but below 14.5.