Sign in to follow this  
JimD

Stonehenge Upgrade

JimD

I came across this article while surfing the net and thought of Neil's photos of his tractor with Stonehenge as a backdrop. Then I wondered how this upgrade might affect the lives of those who may live nearby. I don't know how close you are Neil, but there will a road closed (A344) in the process. While the upgrade sounds like it is needed, I hope it doesn't disrupt the lives of those nearby too much. Here is the article...

http://www.telegraph...ally-begin.html

AMC RULES

The virtual proposed changes here, with a dignified soundtrack. :)

http://www.english-h.../our-proposals/

stevasaurus

I like Jim's post better. :ychain::) :) :) Hey, they are driving on the wrong side of the street. Nice videos guys...thanks.

Don1977

Don't like there design of the new vistors center, those leaning pole columns on the exterior walkway look like crap.

neil

Hi Guys

I drove past StoneHenge on friday & Sunday on my way back from the Ardingly Show and it was quite busy around the stones with plenty of people, even though it was raining really hard there was about 40/50 people visiting them

The road that passes the stones it called th A303 with is a main link road to the south west of England and it gets very busy during the summer months as Holiday makers head for Cornwall, Devon & Somerset. I live about 20 miles from the stones but pass them very often on my way to London.

I think the new visitor center would be a great thing to be upgraded as it would bring it up to modern day technology but to re,route the road im not so sure about as it brings a lot of money to the local village with tourism trade

DSC01796.jpg

wheeledhorseman

I first saw the stones as a child from our car (automobile) as we passed by on our way to Devon for a holiday. They are a truly magical sight and I still love to see them each time I pass by on the A303. I would hate to be deprived of this simple pleasure and when you come to think about it way more people appreciate Stonehenge from their car each day than stop to visit in a week, possibly a month.

Don't get me wrong, I have visited the site itself on many occasions but my postion is that I also expect to be able to see the stones as I pass by. The stones are actually owned by the government (i.e effectively the people) and therefore only managed on our behalf by English Heritage.

I therefore say no to re-routing the A303 which would also represent a huge waste of (our) public money! :handgestures-thumbdown:

Andy

• Like 1