Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Checking transmission fluid level

rmaynard

I have a Charger 10. When checking the hydrostatic oil lever, do you read the dipstick after sitting it on the top of the pipe, or after having it screwed on? I know the engine oil is checked with the plug sitting on the block.

varosd

Bob,

not sure on the sunstrands but on the Eatons , have you seat the dipstick in like you were going to leave it then remove to read it. sunstrands screw in like the Kohler engine oil dipstick?

rmaynard

Yes, my Sundstrand screws in like an old Kohler engine. There is probably 3/8" difference between sitting on top, and screwed on.

Martin

ive also wondered this myself bob........

i check and adjust the same way as on the engines, id rather have it up a little more than down. i dont think that it matters too much as long as its in the range on the stick. ive never read anywhere how its supposed to be checked...... :confusion-scratchheadblue:

stevasaurus

I go by the logic of the animal...if the dip stick screws in, set it on top and read it. It just does not make any since to screw in a dip stick to get an accurate reading. My 2 cents. :) :)

rmaynard

Well I filled it to just below the "F" level with the dip stick sitting on top. It took four quarts. Seems to run just fine. Actually, it runs much better with the new filter and fresh Dexron. Replaced both axle seals and no more leaks. Grandsons are coming over today, so the Charger is refreshed and waiting for them.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sounds great Bob...wish it was cool enough to run a tractor around here. I have not even mowed the grass in 3 weeks and it still does not need it. Maybe a trip around the block. Have fun today. :)

varosd

great job Bob! you might need a sun canopy today!!

Steve, your "cool" looking avatar is looking better and better. Whew it's hot!

• Like 1

rmaynard

great job Bob! you might need a sun canopy today!!

We live on a wooded lot. Temperatures here are generally about 10° to 15° cooler than out in the sunny areas. Though I curse the leaves when they fall in autumn, I praise them on a day like today.

squonk

Boy do we need RAIN!! I always wondered how they play tennis on grass at Wimbeldon. Now I know. My yard is as hard as concrete!

varosd

we did get some rain last night..need more!

stevasaurus

I actually found the answer to this question in print. I have seen it in the Tecumsah manuals, but here it is in a WH manual. This is in the "1979 B, C, D" Owner's Manual on page 15 in parentheses....(dipsticks with threaded plugs should NOT be screwed back in when checking oil level.) :) :) :) The stick should be inserted with the plug resting on the top.

varosd

I actually found the answer to this question in print. I have seen it in the Tecumsah manuals, but here it is in a WH manual. This is in the "1979 B, C, D" Owner's Manual on page 15 in parentheses....(dipsticks with threaded plugs should NOT be screwed back in when checking oil level.) :) :) :) The stick should be inserted with the plug resting on the top.

Steve,

Bob was looking for the proper way to check hydro tranny oil :hide: , did you find anything relating to this? I know my Kohler K-181 has that threaded dipstick system for engine oil. Is the hydro oil checked the same way in a Charger 10? :rolleyes:

stevasaurus

Don, I would say so. It just does not make since to me to screw back in a dip stick to get an accurate reading.

varosd

I guess that was a cheaper way instead of a pull and look system?. I just don't like having the chance of gummed up threads or something dropping in...especially a Hydro! ^_^

stevasaurus

Yes...you want to thoroughly clean around the plug before you pull it out and clean the plug threads before you put it to sleep.

rmaynard

I'm not going to stress over it. I am in the "range" delineated by the cross-hatches, it works fine and life is good. :icecream:

stevasaurus

Glad you are not stressed out Bob. :) It was your thread and the issue has come up before, I just happened to find the answer in print in a Wheel Horse manual...sorry I helped out. :ychain::bow-blue::) :)

• Like 1

JimD

Thanks for finding that Steve, I've often wondered about this . :):music-rockout::thumbs2::thumbs: :teasing-tease:

Buckshot 1

:handgestures-thumbupright: Thank you Steve. I had better check the fluid level on my newly installed 8 spd. in my 656, as I screwed the dipstick in after adding fluid to check the level. :flags-usa: