Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

How does the water get in the transaxle fluid????

Fordiesel69

I just changed the gear lube in my two GT-1642's and the fluid was old and nasty. One of them had a rusty look like maybe water got in at some point.

On my B-100 I just decided to check as I did its fluid back in 2001 and it was yellow and milky. These never get left out in the rain, and I never cut grass in the rain. So how is the water getting in? My shifter boots are dry rotted but only if left out I would think would cause this.....

Where can I get new boots?

rmaynard

Do you ever wash the tractor or hose it off?

If the tractor is never left in the rain, and it is never used in the rain or snow, and the boot is good, the only way that moisture is getting in is by condensation. New boots are still available from Toro, part number 3577.

sorekiwi

New shifter boots are available from your Toro dealer for about $6 apiece.

Usually the water gets in through the shifter boot. If yours never get wet, I have no idea how it gets in. :scratchead:

neil

I agree with Bob , When cast iron gets colld it starts to sweat and creates condensation. I guess that your tractor is left inside a garage that has alternating tempretures which will still cause the condensation problem.

Fordiesel69

I agree with Bob , When cast iron gets colld it starts to sweat and creates condensation. I guess that your tractor is left inside a garage that has alternating tempretures which will still cause the condensation problem.

Yes it is. The garage can be in low 30s at night and if we open a door it will rise to the 50-60's during the spring.

I guess I will change it more often.................

varosd

also if that garage had a dirt floor add a lot more temp/moisture changes

can whlvr

its definatly condensation,i too have had milky oil and my machines dont spend much time in the rain and my shifter boots are good,i keep a few extras around