Sign in to follow this  
soofoodude

Bummer - 523dxi Electrical Problem

soofoodude

Has anybody on this board worked on a 523dxi with regard to electrical issues. I just took a look at the circuits in the demystification guide and about had a heart attack.

Here's the story. 550hr machine bought used with 475 hrs. - never had any problems or indications of a problem until today. Was mowing along and heard a commotion going on down below - sounded like I was going to lose a belt. She lugged down a little, I stopped and took a look around. Belts looked fine, nothing in the blades. Got on, noises seemed to disappear and I went back to mowing. About 15 - 20 minutes later I was mowing in the ditch and all of a sudden it just quits. Not a drop of power anywhere. It had blown a 10 amp fuse. Replaced it and continued for another 3-5 minutes and down she goes - blew the same fuse again. Replaced it and turn on the key and bang out goes the fuse. Dead short somewhere I'm guessing - and of course it is the curcuit that controls the dash board, cruise control and all of the safety switches !!!

Any helpful hints on where to start would be greatly appreciated. I'm not much of a wrencher, but will give it a try - unless someone is looking for a nice 523dxi, 60" deck, new tiller, 2st blower w/ automated chute rotate and tilt with cab, glass windshield, wiper, custom lights and switches:)

The Photo below was before I automated the blower and replaced the windshield - I will get some nice shiney pics if I can ever get it to run again.

post-2419-0-75078300-1341107587_thumb.jp

refracman

Hopefully you have the wiring diagram with your manual with the wire colors. Also a good multimeter is a must.

. It sounds like the unit has had some wireing mods done. check them first, or better yet unhook them. Then check the system, if that doesn't work, start tracing the 10amp circut.

Toro did a good job with the wiring on these newer units, I thinking its the modifications thats giving you the problem.

O ya if its cheap enough I can see a road trip in my future :ychain: , I missed out on one a few months ago

Save Old Iron

SFD,

looks like there are at least 2 different 10 amp fuses in the wiring diagram.

Is the fuse that opens in the PINK wired circuit or the ORANGE wired circuit? I'm guessing PINK.

soofoodude

Refrac - All of my mods were done off of a new separate circuit tapped off the starter under the battery lug.

SOI - Yes its the Pink circuit #3. If a guy could isolate the safety interlock section of the circuit for a test, it seems that a person could zero in a little faster.

Refrac - It could be worth your time if you have never taken the family to see Mt. Rushmore yet!

Save Old Iron

There are 3 branch circuits off the pink 10 amp fuse. PTO, Safety locks and Alternator/Glow plug

e9946194.gif

My thoughts are to do a quick check on wiring near chassis points looking for chaffing.If needed, continue by removing the pink wire from the alternator and (if accessible) the feed wire to the power PTO. These are the two heavy hitters for heavy current draw. If the glow plug module is a plug-in, remove that next.

My next question would be

Does the 10A fuse blow on moving the ignition switch to RUN or does it blow only when you move the switch to START?