Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

what I do

BairleaFarm

I give handy capped people the power to drive. B) I install every thing from hand controls to flip up camper tops.

I didnt do this truck, i think out Louisville shop did. The top opens like it does, the lift comes out and pics up this guys wheel chair. He also has a set that spins and drops to the ground so he can slide in. Very nice.

The pump looking thing is back up steering. This girl has limited mobility in her hands is has very little strength. I didnt not install this pump (id make it look better) but I did hook all the hoses up. The steering return goes through the pump through the relocated oil cooler through the valve and back into the reservoir. If the car dies of the power steering pump goes poo poo the pump kicks on, reverses and pressurizes the igh side of the system. The rack has been modified and the car is equipped with zero effort steering. It take next ot nothing to turn the wheel.

The last picture is a lift i installed this morning. Sweet setup that goes in the hitch. It has a swing a way feature which lets him use his bed and carry his chair at the same time.

The last set of pictures are EMC controlled. Everything works with that touch pad and joystick. These thing are hard to drive and real fun to work on. I havent messed with them much but should be going to there school in the near future. Let the fun begin.

7-16-085.jpg

7-16-087.jpg

7-16-088.jpg

7-16-0811.jpg

7-16-0815.jpg

7-16-0816.jpg

7-16-0817.jpg

7-16-0818.jpg

7-16-0819.jpg

nylyon

That is some great work for a good purpose.

T-Mo

Interesting job, David. And a job that actually helps ones who normally wouldn't have a chance for independence and/or freedom to go where they need or want to go. If all of us had jobs that were as helpful - and gives a sense of helping as yours. B)

sorekiwi

I might have to pick your brains at some stage David...

My wife is disabled and we have a full size Ford Van with a Wheelchair lift to get her around. But... the van is equipped with extra power assistance for the steering and brakes, and I hate it (and she's not capable of driving it).

I need to remove all this stuff, but it looks way complicated. I dont remember the manufacturer - i'll find it and maybe you can give me some pointers?

Mike

BairleaFarm

Post a picture and ill see what i can tell you.

BairleaFarm

I need to remove all this stuff, but it looks way complicated.

Did you get my PM back then?

Did another topper. The equipment cost more than the truck but at lest the guys is happy. I was in a hurry at the fitting so I didnt Get any completion pictures. I dont leave the behind the seat area looking that bad trust me. :banghead:

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0745.jpg

002.jpg

KyBlue

Hey...Dont be makin fun of the ride now... Bet it doesnt have injector issues! haha Sorry - couldnt pass up the chance to rib ya a bit!

I gotta run mine by Nolan tmw after the lawyer..Keep smellin fuel - its too spensive to be wastin!

sorekiwi

Did you get my PM back then?

Yes I did, thanks David.

Truth is, my wife is in Ohio, close to her mother's home, and I'm in Indianapolis. The van is in Ohio. I go over to visit for a few days when I can, but usually am too busy running around to get to looking at the attachments on the van.

I'm trying to sell my place in Indiana and move back up there, but with the housing market being the way it is... :banghead:

I will look at it though, every time I drive the van I hate it. The steering is super light, which causes it to wander around in the dry, and it scares the living sh!t outa me in the snow. And the brakes are over assisted to the point that you have to use your big toe on the pedal to avoid face planting the windscreen. Kinda scary when you think "when I put this thing in a ditch, how to I get her and her wheelchair out of the back?"

When I get round to it, I'll take a good look at it and try to work out how it all works. I'm not sure how they have managed to lighten up the steering so much - whether it's as simple as supplying more hydraulic pressure, or if its a modified rack or what. There is some sort of tank under the vehicle, but I'm not sure if this is just an extra vacuum reservoir for the brakes or what.

Nice job on that truck. There's a lot of cool equipement available for helping the disabled. Shame its all so expensive.

Thanks for your help, you will be hearing from me...