Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Crazy

1962 502 Rustoration

Wheel Crazy

I recently purchased a 1962 502. It has a non original, non running h60 or 6hp Tecumseh motor on it, but I also have a 5.5hp Honda motor I could put on it. So after I figure out the engine situation I am going to get new rims for the back and Ag tires. Not sure if I am going to have white or black rims? Might even get new front rims and tires although the originals are still on there. I am going to leave the body with it's original patina. I plan on getting the proper seat pan and seat cover to put on it. Next i want to put a stack on the tractor with a rain cap. I may even replace the srickers with new ones, but the originals are kinda cool to. I want to repaint the Wheel Horse letters on the front of the hood, how do you guys paint them? with a paint brush? or is there a better technigue? Thanks! Here are some pictures! Let me know what you think!!

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5217.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

Kelly

You can wash the tractor and lightly use steel wool to clean some of the rust off, then spray it down with WD-40, wipe it all over let it set for about 10 min, then wipe off any extra WD, it will help it from rusting more and will bring out the red, do this after cleaning but before the WD, as for the letters my hands are not as steady as they used to be when I built model cars, so I don't use a brush, I have found paint sticks work great most hobby shops have them

AMC RULES

Maybe...just a bath first to see what your working with.

Then, can we see it again? :popcorn:

Go slow...that's a nice tractor you've got there. :thumbs:

Wheel Crazy

You can wash the tractor and lightly use steel wool to clean some of the rust off, then spray it down with WD-40, wipe it all over let it set for about 10 min, then wipe off any extra WD, it will help it from rusting more and will bring out the red, do this after cleaning but before the WD, as for the letters my hands are not as steady as they used to be when I built model cars, so I don't use a brush, I have found paint sticks work great most hobby shops have them

Thanks Kelly! So clean it, WD-40, wipe off extra, let it sit, then done? Yeah that sounds like a good idea for the letters! Maybe even like a Dupli-Color paint pen for touching up scrathes on cars could work too? Thanks again Kelly!

Maybe...just a bath first to see what your working with.

Then, can we see it again? :popcorn:

Go slow...that's a nice tractor you've got there. :thumbs:

Yeah I will have to clean it up. I will post up more pictures too!! Thanks! I need to have it ready for Kelly's show in August, that should be enought time, but don't want to rush it like you said.

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like a cool project brodi. I think some ags and tri ribs would look great on it! They would look cool black or white but I think white would look the best. Don't forget the stack either,they look really cool on wheel horses. Jake

Wheel Crazy

Sounds like a cool project brodi. I think some ags and tri ribs would look great on it! They would look cool black or white but I think white would look the best. Don't forget the stack either,they look really cool on wheel horses. Jake

Thanks Jake! Yeah it needs new rims and tires for sure! Yeah white probably would look better, and if I eventually restore it, then the rims will be correct! lol Yes! It needs a stack for sure!!

Wheel Crazy

Well the hood, belt guard, and motor are all off the tractor!! I even cleaned up the hood and belt guard a little.

Wheel Crazy

I plan on using a rattle can clear coat to stop it from rusting. I need to clean up the 5.5 Honda motor because it came off a paint sprayer and is covered in white paint. I will post up pictures tomorrow of all the progress. Let me know if your in the Michigan area and have a set of AG tires with 5 lug rims. Thanks!

Wheel Crazy

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

Wheel Crazy

Well, after two hours of cleaning the tractor with a brillo pad this is what I ended up with!!

IMG_5281.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5289.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

:eusa-think:

Rooster

Good work!

Wheel Crazy

Good work!

Thanks!

Kelly

I knew there was some red under the rust, looks much better.

CRE1992

Looks good Brodi keep it up.

Wheel Crazy

I knew there was some red under the rust, looks much better.

Thanks!! I need to snap some pictures of the hood and belt guard too.

Looks good Brodi keep it up.

Thanks Charles!

Jake Kuhn

Looks really good brodi! Jake

HorseWhisperer

Sweet jump ropin jerhosaphats that thing came alive a little!love that narrowframe plow!

Wheel Crazy

Looks really good brodi! Jake

Thanks Jake!

Sweet jump ropin jerhosaphats that thing came alive a little!love that narrowframe plow!

Thanks! Yeah I am hoping to get rear AG tires and weights to put that plow to use this winter!

• Like 1

312Hydro

Wow,that really paid off! I'll bet the rest will look great too! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wheel Crazy

Wow,that really paid off! I'll bet the rest will look great too! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks!!

I might be picking up a bathtub trailer tomorrow for 50 bucks!!

CRE1992

Brodi I might be able to help you out weight wise. I have a few... lol

d4548ed5.jpg

Wheel Crazy

Brodi I might be able to help you out weight wise. I have a few... lol

:laughing-rofl: Lol You are a wheel weight hoarder!! Lol If i can't find a set of weights locally I may take you up on that offer!! I am sure it would be pretty pricey to ship! lol :laughing-rofl:

Stigian

Wow, that's a cool project. Glad your preserving rather than repainting as it's looking just right as it is. :handgestures-thumbup:

Wheel Crazy

Wow, that's a cool project. Glad your preserving rather than repainting as it's looking just right as it is. :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks! :dance:

Wheel Crazy

Well, the Honda just ain't gonna work. While I try to find another motor it will be for sale. So, either it sells or I find a cheap motor and put it on the tractor. lol