Sign in to follow this  
jimbo7921

how do u tell if your battery is pooched?

jimbo7921

just as the title asks guys, won't turn over with a trickle charge on it all afternoon, but as soon as i hook up the cables she starts right up if i take the cables off to quick (3-5 mins) it will stall. thx jim

can whlvr

well there may be a good way at home but i take them to where i buy them and have them load tested

Rooster

Sounds pooched to me! However, I have been trying a method I read about rejuvenating dead batteries with Epsom salt. Just tried one and it seemed to work. So don't throw it out yet, I may have interesting news soon. !!

Kelly

Take it to most auto parts stores after you have charged it for a bit and have them load test it, most places do it for free.

Sparky

It probably has a bum cell, makes it look like its taking a charge from your trickle charger but never gets "full up". When it starts with a jump the other power source is doing all the starting.

Mike............

rydogg

It probably has a bum cell, makes it look like its taking a charge from your trickle charger but never gets "full up". When it starts with a jump the other power source is doing all the starting.

Mike............

Mike is probably right on the money....I have taken a few batteries in to have them load tested only to find out they have a dead cell, they worked just fine with a jump pack or battery charger hooked up but wouldn't do it on their own even after an overnight charging.