Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Old Red almost made it.....

Ken B

This yr. I decided to take my 1988 Chevy Stepside to the Big Show. I thought there was a good chance of my coming home a little tractor heavy so I left the Grand Cherokee home. My truck only has 124,000 original miles and was extremely well cared for by the original owner I purchased it from. I also make sure to be pretty meticulous with it. I gave Old Red the old once and twice over before the trip and other then a few minors tweeks it was good to go.

My trip didn't start too well. After meeting up with our CT Convoy the very first good sized hill I hit it pinged real good when I kicked it down a little and thru a Check Engine light. I always run 93 octane when running heavy but I had to settle for Valero. Never again! We stopped around 8:30 at a Burger King / Exxon and I filled er up. Much better, It felt like I picked up 30 hp and all was well.

Fast forward to my ride home. All was well, I was running about 500 pounds heavier due to a few purchases,

(more on that later) but you'd never know it, Old Red was running proud! When I'm traveling I don't listen to a radio, I like to just take in the scenery and of course, listen for unwelcome noises. Well, the minute that bearing started making noise (over the Newburgh Bridge) I heard it. Very slight at first but within two miles it was NASTY. It is only about a 35 mile run to my house, I was going to pull over to the first exit and let things cool down and try to make the run. I barely made it to the exit! The front tire was wobbling big time and when trying to come to a stop I went for the brake pedal and had next to no brakes due to the wheel bearing over heating the brake caliper. (I had to act quick on that one with the e brake pedal and e brake release lever to get to a stop.

After quite the nighmare with Triple A over the phone I finally got a tow home. I called my son to bring the Grand Cherokee to where I was stuck so he could haul my trailer home. This whole deal made for a long and exciting day but all I can say is that I'm very thankful to Stevebo, Uncle Bo, Toddbo and Timbo for hanging out with me at the Park and Ride until my son showed up. Old Red came thru as well, Its a 5.5 hr ride and it would have really sucked if this whole deal happened out of free towing range and in the middle of no where! A 30 mile free tow is a gift. I better thank the old lady as well, she renewed my Triple A the day before the show.

I pulled things apart once off the wrecker and this is by far the worst bearing I have ever seen

IMG_0446.jpg

312Hydro

Great looking Chevy you have there! Things happen when ya least expect them to. Great that everything worked out ok for you. Is that a 520 H on the back? Could have just pulled the truck the last 35 with it. :ychain: Thanks for the pic and seriously, Glad you made it back OK.

Ken B

It is a 520. 8 hrs. got put on it while crusing the show. What isn't in the picture is the trailer with 3 other tractors on it I was towing. I don't think I would have had enough money to ow it home with the 520. I now agree with others that have said they are thirsty! She slurped the fuel at the show. Thanks to Nate and the Bo's who shared some fuel with me at the show!

1maidenfan

Nice looking truck :bow-yellow:

Glad you made it A OK.

"Fast forward to my ride home. All was well, I was running about 500 pounds heavier due to a few purchases,

(more on that later)"

:confusion-waiting:

:wwp: of your new purchases.

Looks like a 400 series in your truck or is that a 500 series ?

Ok you cleared that up, it's a 520 :greetings-wavegreen:

whfan74

Dang sorry to hear that Ken. It was great getting a chance to meet you and the guys at the show. Thanks for the hospitality.....wish there was more time to hang out with you guys.

Glad to see you made it home safely.

fireman

Man you should have called my cell I would have turned around ! I was driving slow waiting for you to catch up after we went through the toll plaza. I was wondering why I didn't see you.

Ken B

Thanks Jeff, I know you would have turned around. I pulled it over right after the toll plaza, it is a total idiot show right there but it felt like the lugs were loose on the rim it was so bad.. Stevebo and the gang drove by a minute later.

neil

lucky it didnt happen on the way to the show otherwise you could have missed the show which would have been a nightmare .

as long as you got home safely

stevebo

Ken-

At least you did not run over that rotten dirty baby diper that exploded all over your truck in the park and ride :omg:

312Hydro

Ken-

At least you did not run over that rotten dirty baby diper that exploded all over your truck in the park and ride :omg:

That's just disgusting!

Sparky

Bummer, but it sounds like it all worked out in the end. I had a front universal and a front bearing go just four days before leaving for the show, glad it reared up before I was in the middle of my trip. Plus just 6 days before the show one of my rear tires had a huge chunk of rubber tore out of it and it wasnt repairable so I ended up buying 4 new tires at $952 installed. My truck cost me a few $$ before the show but its worth it to make it to and from with out an issue.

Mike...........

baerpath

If you don't have it I would look into AAA RV Plus. 150 miles of towing truck and trailer. As long as not commercial They hauled my diesel and 28ft enclosed trailer no questions asked. Even if they have to send two trucks to do it.

Who needs a radio?

Duane

DKF

Ken,

It was great to meet you and all of the guys from CT. Always good to put a face to a name. Glad to see you made out OK with the travel issue. Nate and I had a blast at our first show - hopefully this can turn into a yearly pilgrimage. Im sure we will cross paths again. Thanks again.

Derek

Riley088

Ken, sorry to hear about the car trouble with Old Red. Glad it worked out in the end. As Derek said we had great time and a big thanks to all the CT RS members who made our first trip to the show a great one. Thanks guys.

Nate

Rooster

On A SIde note....Old Red is a sharp Ride!

Fix her broken toe and Style her with Pride!

• Like 1

Ken B

I put a new hub bearing in yesterday and she is good as new. I'm gonna replace the one on the other side for good measure! I have changed dozens upon dozens of these thru the yrs. This is the worst one I have ever seen. I still can't believe how fast it went from slight squeal to grind and death wobble, all in a matter of minutes you couldn't drive it at all.

WH520

Even if it is a Chevy, it is a nice looking truck! :teasing-neener:

Coadster32

Reminds me of the time my brake pad slipped out of the caliper...towing horses of course.

Glad you made it close to home, and finished fixing the truck w/o incident. Also good to hear the other RS members hanging to the end.