Sign in to follow this  
Agage1

k241 rebuild question

Agage1

i'm about ready to start the 241 rebuild but i got 2 questions to figure out first. first, the block in my k241 is labeled k301. from my understanding kohler ran out of 241 blocks at one point and started using 301's. if i get the block machined to 301 specs. can i reuse my 241 crank? second question relates to the "hot cam" they're selling. my machine guy tells me a cam would be an easy way to gain some power. i just dont know if i'd have to change anything else or the hot cam would be a direct replacement for the stock one?

oldredrider

You should go to Brian Miller's web site. Ton of info there about Kohler engines and such. Don't quite know

what your intentions are or the hot cam you are referring to.

Just google his name...

Agage1

I've been to his site. The motor is at the machine shop , these are the questions the shop had. They weren't familiar with k301 blocks being used in the 241. So they weren't sure if they were to bore it out to a 301s specs if the same crank could be used. I want a little more power from the motor just to have a little fun but also I would like to run a tiller attachment. The shop told me a cam would up the power. I've seen cams on miller's and other sites, just wasn't sure if I were to use one what other changes if any I would have to make.

MarkPalmer

You can use one of those cams to up the power a little, and set the governed speed up to 4000 RPM. But I would base any performance mods on what you are actually doing with the engine, as the old saying goes you don't often get something for nothing. Kohler has the engines tuned very well for what they are intended to do, that being working smoothly under a moderate load for long hours on a yard tractor. Pulling contests (what they are selling most of the performance mods for) equal the exact opposite, getting as much power and torque possible under a short time duration, engine lifespan or runability not the biggest issue. We already do get a bonus and don't even realize it, except we do pay for it in high prices at the pump. Pump gasoline has some ethanol content in most locations, and even 10% will give a Kohler single about a 1 HP gain.

-Mark-

Fordiesel69

Are you sure about the ethanol giving a 1HP gain. The stuff I have read shows the opposite. IF this is true that would be great.

Rooster

As mark said, You do not want a performance cam in a working machine! It is the same as putting a race car on the street, or even worse because you need this tractor to work!

There are no cams currently made that I am aware of for working machines, however, there are some cam guys out there that will make you anything you want.

There are many ways to boost the power of these engines without hurting the durability or "runability" of the engine.

If you want the right cam, contact Tim Iskenderian at www.smallenginecams.com The name Iskenderian, or "Isky" is all but synonymous with flat head engine performance!

If you call Tim, tell him what you are wanting out of the cam, he will make a cam perfect for your needs!

MarkPalmer

Are you sure about the ethanol giving a 1HP gain. The stuff I have read shows the opposite. IF this is true that would be great.

The paragraphs on E-85 ethanol in this article (about 1/4 of the way down the page) from Brian Miller's site explain the HP gain and corresponding increased fuel consumption of ethanol blend gasoline. The pump gas in my area contains up to 10% ethanol.

http://gardentractor...om/carbfuel.htm

-Mark-

Agage1

i want to put a tiller attatchment on. i've read that the tiller is pushing the limits for 10 hp. my goal was to get a little more power to run the tiller and maybe have a little fun on the side. i have a pretty big garden and the tractor i used to borrow is no longer available. so outfitting the motor to run the tiller is my overall goal

Callen

If you want to use stock parts and go to the 301 bore you will need the crank from a 301. the stroke is quite a bit different.