Sign in to follow this  
Mikez655

Ignition not shutting off engine

Mikez655

Hello all,

I am rebuilding a 655 wheel horse and i got the engine running great it starts right up with no problem at all and runs excellent. Now i am having a problem shutting it off lol. I might have some wires crossed but it will start with the when i turn the key (its electric start) but when i turn the key in the off position it wont shut off. What could it possibly be?

tunahead72

I'm a nearly complete electrical idiot, so I won't be able to help you much. But my first guess would be either a bad switch, or like you say, wires not connected to the correct terminals. Since this is a recent rebuild, can we assume all your connections are clean and tight, with no obvious flaws in the wires themselves? Do you have a wiring diagram for this machine? How are you shutting it off at this point?

Just thought of something else...

Is this the original ignition switch, or at least an exact replacement?

rmaynard

I just uploaded a manual for the 655 to the files section. As soon as it's approved, you can download it and look at the wiring diagram. If this tractor has the original engine, it should have a magneto. The ignition switch must be for a magneto type system.

Mikez655

The tractor does have the original engine and the ignition shut off wire which is green is in good shape there is no tears or crimping on it so i didnt think that i had to replace it at all. Before i took everything apart the ignition switch did work properly so im assuming that its something i did to cause this

rmaynard

Check all of your grounds, including the ignition switch.

JackC

I have a 211-3 with 11 horse Briggs. The wire to the magneto was broken and the motor would not shut off when the key is turned off. I had to choke the engine to shut it off.

When the key is turned to off, the magneto is grounded to stop producing spark. If the wire or connection to the magneto is bad then that will not work.

I had to take the engine tin off to find the broken wire.

Not sure if your situation may be similar.

JackC

If the wire to the magneto is good, do you have the correct key switch and are you using an original wiring harness?

If it is not an original wiring harness you will need a wiring diagram to make sure things are wired properly including the shut off function.

tunahead72

The owner's manual that Bob (rmaynard) uploaded is here: