Sign in to follow this  
Howard2x4x4

266H transaxle leak

Howard2x4x4

I have a 266H with a transaxle leak. I have not been able to absolutely see where it's coming from, but it appearred to be from around the brake shaft. I bought a new seal (part # 93-0361) after being told by the dealer and online sources that the seal could be replaced without splitting the case. Upon closer inspection, that does not appear to be so. What am I not seeing? I also thought about re-filling the gear lube to see exactly where the leak is, but would want to drain the leak tracer oil. Does the transaxle have drain plug? Do I have to split the case? Thanks for your help. Best, Howard

Kevin Bowley

I have the service manual for that tranny. It is a Tuff-Torq K61 and it is serviceable. The file is 15 mb so I can’t attach it. You can go to their website and download the full service manual. It isn’t a very stout tranny...I destroyed the one in my 265 in less than one winter of light plowing. It became very noisy although it didn’t slip. Tuff-Torq sold me a kit for 450 bucks, new pump/motor assembly (uprated to a K66), new bushings/bearings/gasket/seals. It worked great after that.

Two bolts need to come out to drain it. They are under the differential and one is a 12mm and the other is a 14 mm. Getting oil back in is very tedious. You need to fill it through the connection for the reservoir, purge it, refill and then fill the reservoir until it fills the hose to get air out and then connect it as the oil is running out the line. It made no difference in performance.