Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

only runs when choked

plowmaster

new guy here with what seems to be a simple problem, it only runs when on full choke.

fires right up and pops to life, but open the choke and you have to feather the throttle quite fast to keep it running. with the choke in the back position (allmost fully closed) it will do the same thing, have to feather the throt to keep her alive.

it runs really well with the choke closed, sounds like i think it should, but cant be sure as im a new owner and its always run like this. has plenty of power and i think it runs well enough on choke to mow with. id just like to get it figgerd out as id like to get this complete machine back to like new condition.

thanks for the help folks, and i hope i can be of some help in the future. im a farmer in NNY, and i farm with red equipment. B) i hope to visit here alot in the future, as this is my second and surely not last wheel horse. my other horse is a 416-H with a missing motor and fuel tank. now it needs a deck as i stole it for the charger. :whistle:

have a good day folks! thanks in advance for any and all help!

perry

should be a simple fix. first off is the gas tank clean ?. and does it have fresh gas ?. then make sure the fuel line is clean and flowing properly. you should also have a inline gas filter.

turn the gas off/crimp the line and pull the bottom bowl off of the carburetor. make sure the bowl is spottless. pull the main jet adjustable screw running threw the top of the carb down to the bottom. just the top long pointy one, dont try and take the brass flat head screwdriver needle seat out of bottom.

make sure the needle is clean and all the tiny holes are cleaned out using a small piece of wire and a air blow gun.

use carb cleaner threw out the carb and compressed air to blow threw the carb.

make sure gas is flowing threw the float-needle & seat.

very simple fix and can be done in about 15min without even removing the carb.

• Like 1

Duff

Hi, Plowmaster, and :whistle:

I don't have an answer to your situation not being a motor man myself, but there are a ton of guys on this forum who are real sharp with the Kohler (and other) engines. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. Just wanted to jump aboard to give you a warm welcome. This is a great forum for us red tractor lovers!

Again, B)

Duff B)

EDIT: While I was typing the above Perry jumped in with an excellent diagnosis- that's how fast the folks here try to help each other out!

perry

oops forgot

i guess i outta give ya a B) .

what models do you farm with ?.

post some pics of your tractors when you can. big and small :whistle: .

Teddy da Bear

Yes, welcome to the Forum!

First of all is to understand your situation. Are you going by the choke handle position or are you actually looking at the butterfly with the air cleaner removed.

The reason I ask is that my choke handle position did not accurately reflect the actual choke position on the carb.

My choke handle is on "half choke" and yet the butterfly on the actual choke is in the "no choke" or "open" position. Yours could even be rigged up backwards.

Check it out....

WheelHorse_of_course

Welcome!

Mike is right, you might check that with the air filter off.

However, the situation you describe is pretty typical of a partially gummed up carb. Follow Perry's advice.

Sometimes it works to spray a lot of carb cleaner in with the engine running, but the method described by Perry is much better.

Best of luck B)

and... :whistle:

plowmaster

thanks for the help and the welcome guys, i guess i can just give it a good carb cleanin? theres no choke so im going from the butterfly in the carb. also i have a good clean tank and a clean glass rebuildable type fuel filter.

i farm 888 acres of corn and soy in st lawrence river area.

got lots of red tractors, ill try to post a pic here.

none290.jpg

thanks for the help again fellas, have a good day.

jon

WheelHorse_of_course

Yup, a good carb cleaning should do it :whistle:

Nothing a farmer like you shouldn't be able to handle with ease B)

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

combatmp29r

Jon, B) Good to have you here. Don't worry two will soon be a number of the past. We seem to have some contageouse diseas which cause you to buy more Horses that you will ever need B) Of course with 800+ acres you might be the only one that could justify having as many horses as alot of us do. I grew up farming 1400 in OH. Dad has since gotten rid of most of it and let leases go, but we still have all the Deeres. Yes I said Deeres B) :whistle: