Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

K181 Vacuum-type fuel pump leaking.

rmaynard

Although my fuel pump was working, the diaphragm was stretched, and appeared as though it needed to be replaced. I acquired and installed a new one and now I notice that gas is leaking out around the diaphragm (seal). Because of this, gas is also leaking into the crankcase. I have tried tightening the four screws that hold the two halves together, but no change.

Has anyone had this issue, and if so, what was your solution? I am thinking of removing the diaphragm and applying Teflon thread seal to both aluminum surfaces and reinstalling the diaphragm. As I see it, it can't hurt, and maybe it will give me a better seal.

buckrancher

try flat sanding both half's on a piece of glass and some 320 grit paper

Brian

• Like 1

rmaynard

Brian,

Thanks for the tip. I should have done that when I installed the seal in the first place, but the surfaces looked fine. I will head out to the shop and give it a shot.

6:58am - I sanded both surfaces with 320 grit last night. Also found that one of the holes had it's threads stripped, or at least I stripped them snugging up the screw, but that was not the side that was leaking. Replaced the screw with a smaller one and put a nut on it. Ran the engine enough to fill the pump, and it seems that the problem is solved for external leakage. Can't tell if any gas is bypassing the seal and leaking into the crankcase. I will run it for a while later today and carefully pull the pump to check.