Sign in to follow this  
steve

Fuel not making to the filter

steve

I have an old but great 316-8, its been great but now wont start, plugs are dry, I removed the filter and blew it out and now I noticed the fuel doesnot make it up the pipe to the filter and to the engine. Does anyone know what the problem may be, do I need to prime the line or anything since Ive had the filter out?and whats the black flat square metal box through which the fuel passes just before the filter?

Cheers

meadowfield

the rear mounted tanks can make it real hard for fuel to get through. I've done a few threads on this and we all seem to see a similar problem.

I can prime it easier by filling the tank to the top - if that fails (not recommended, but I do it) blow into the tank to pressurise it whilst cranking, or put the tractor on a slope facing forward.

Once fuel gets to the pump things are generally great - it's just getting them primed thats the issue !

mark

steve

Great I will have a go in the morning, thanks for that.

Cant beat cutting grass in the garden, sun out "I hope" with a glass of Jack. Looking forward to successfully starting up the old beast.

TheReDStAnG

Well, that 'black metal box" before the filter is the fuel pump. The fuel pump works off crankcase pressure. So if you tried what Meadowfield said to do, and still no gas is getting to the filter, then its either the fuel pump or plugged up valve on the bottom of the gas tank. On one of the 520'h I picked up, I ran it low on gas. There must have been a lot of dirt/sand in the tank because it plugged up the reed valves inside the fuel pump. Cleaned the tank out, opened up the fuel pump, cleaned the reed valves, reassembled, cranked for 15 seconds and then she fired up.

can whlvr

there is also a screen inside the tank on the valve that the fuel line hooks to,theres a rubber gromet that the valve pushes through,put a flash light in and look for debris,ive had to pull the valve out to clean it(screen)and you can take the valve apart too to clean

steve

It works!!

Tried filling the tank, took the pump apart, shined a light at it made some mmmmmm noises and blew on it a while. Jacked up the rear and still nothing..... So went for the "not recommended" method ans blew into the tank..... It worked first time, didn't need to crank at the same time .... A little awkward anyway, but saw the fuel run into the filter and onto the engine so stopped blowing and started it up.

Cheers guys cut my acre supping some beer and all is good.

Thanks