Sign in to follow this  
hpeeler

Replacing Spindles on 48in Deck

hpeeler

I need to replace the spindles on my 48in deck. Do I have to take the entire assembly out to get the spindle out or should it just come out? Does it have to be pressed out? Will blade alignment be an issue when I put the new ones back in? Thanks for the help.

WH520

Is it tapered or keyed? All of my decks have had a tapered spindle. First remove the grease fitting and belt. Then take the nut off that's on top of the spindle and tap the spindle with a hammer and it should pop right out. You don't have to touch the spindle housing.

To reinstall the new spindle just slide the spindle through the housing, install pulley and tighten the nut. Put the grease fitting and belt back on and you're done.

This is for a tapered spindle, I've never messed around with a keyed spindle so this may not apply if yours is keyed.

Don1977

Why are you replacing the spindles. I have had two spindles damaged in 35 years one was a 3/4" keyed that key slot wollered out. The other the blade nut stripped, I retreaded the spindle put on another nut and got by until I got a new spindle. I've changed a lot of spindle bearings in 35 years. I'm not saying that you don't need to, just wondering why just the spindle.

can whlvr

i too recommend that you do the bearingsif you are doing the spindle,if the spindle is worn out good chance the bearings are too,i screw a bolt in place of the zirk,put 2 or 3 nuts on the top of the spindle one protruding up above the spot where the zirk goes and then you can hit it good,but if its trashed you dont need to worry about the top of the spindle

Don1977

There is a big C-clip holding the bottom bearing in that has to be removed before tapping out the bottom bearing.

Forest Road

I have 3 keyed spindle assemblies from a 48" deck. PM if you're interested.

hpeeler

Why are you replacing the spindles. I have had two spindles damaged in 35 years one was a 3/4" keyed that key slot wollered out. The other the blade nut stripped, I retreaded the spindle put on another nut and got by until I got a new spindle. I've changed a lot of spindle bearings in 35 years. I'm not saying that you don't need to, just wondering why just the spindle.

Over the years sometimes the blades would get loose and spin freely before I realized it and that has worn on the spindles. I have had to put 2 washers on them so now the nut doesn't grab enough for my liking.

I don't know if mine are keyed or not, I haven't taken one out yet. It's a late 80's model if that helps you. If I can get one out in the next day or two and see that they are keyed I will pm you. Thanks.

SAM58

I would take them out and fix all that needs to be fixed.

Bearings and seals are cheap for the 48" decks and chances are that is all you need...

Don1977

If they have a 5/8" nut on top of the pulley they are Metric. If they have a 3/4" nut on top of the pulley they are keyed. The spindle housings and mower blades are the same on both every thing else is different.

hpeeler

Mine has a 15/16" nut on top of the pulley. I took the nut off of the pulley and tried to hammer the spindle out from the top. No deal. How much disassembly do I need to do to get it out? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for all the help

Don1977

Mine has a 15/16" nut on top of the pulley. I took the nut off of the pulley and tried to hammer the spindle out from the top. No deal. How much disassembly do I need to do to get it out? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for all the help

I gave the spindle shaft size through the pulley, not the out side of the nut. Be careful if it's rusted in the bearings you could bust the alum. housing at the bottom where the c-clip is holding the bottom bearing.

hpeeler

pm sent

can whlvr

I gave the spindle shaft size through the pulley, not the out side of the nut. Be careful if it's rusted in the bearings you could bust the alum. housing at the bottom where the c-clip is holding the bottom bearing.

been there done that