Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Sickle Bar Mower

Teddy da Bear

Ok....got the fill plug off.

It is as dry as the desert....

What kind of lubricant did these SBM's use?

Thanks

TT

The manual for my SMS-425 calls for "#30 motor oil". B)

Teddy da Bear

Okie Doke... I thought it would have been some kind of transaxle lube/gear oil B)

Teddy da Bear

Ok.....got new belt on....filled it with lubricant....ad it poored our all over the floor!!!! GRrrrrrrrrr B)

I look at the other side (opposite side of fill plug) and there is a plate like access panel and has a "slit" in it. Caused by part of the mechanism inside!

I have yet to remove the access panel, but what in the world would cause a part (what part) of the internal mechanism to slice through the access panel???

I have a quick pic. This is looking down from the top of the gear box. The panel is "inboard" of the tractor.

Attached Image

post-4-1216250812.jpg

TT

Looks like you lost a snap ring on the yoke pin, Mike.

Don't try running it - it might break the yoke. B)

Teddy da Bear

I won't run it. But I did rotate the main pulley by hand. I can see something passing by behind the slit. The sickle bar moves back and forth very easily now as opposed to when it was dry.

Thanks Terry....tomarow I will take the access panel off and see what I can see.

I will report back.

Teddy da Bear

Ok, got the access plate off.

Here is a labeled picture of what I found inside. I measured the distance across the clevis (yoke)and the pin seems really too short to traverse that distance. In pther words the pin would be short about 1/2" from exiting on the other side of the clevis {yoke). But I never found that 1/2" end of the pin in the bottom with the other peices.

I also found a pile of sludge in the bottom. (most likely metal shavings)

On the pin you can see the snap ring groove in both ends. The one end with slight damage is harder to see the groove. The other end of the pin that was slicing through the access panel seems in very good shape. Panel is not in good shape however.

Also I do not know why I have only 1 brass washer/bushing. Should there not be two? One for each side of the yoke? Or does this pin only go half way through the yoke and connect only one side of the clevis (yoke)??

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Image

post-4-1216326198.jpg

TT

Well..........

Lets start off with this picture, Mike:

SBM001.jpg

#17 is the snap ring and it does require a quantity of two - one on each end of the yoke pin.

It sounds as though the yoke has spread on your SBM. I've only ever been inside one of these one time, but remember it well. :whistle:

Once the wobble shaft (#14) is installed in the front of the gearbox, the weldment (reciprocating) shaft (#9) is installed up through from the bottom. The shouldered bronze bushings (#12) are installed from the inside out into the yoke. The yoke has to be slipped back over the (#9) shaft so the pin clears the wobble shaft. Push the yoke forward and insert the drive pin (with bushing #15) into the wobble shaft recess.

With a snap ring installed on one end of the yoke pin, oil it up and insert it through the oil fill/level hole in the side of the housing (now you know why it's THAT big B) ) and through the yoke bushings and #9 shaft until you can install the other snap ring on the yoke pin on the access plate side.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have some machine work in your future. Almost every part for these mowers is NLA, except a few of the bolts, seals, and snap rings. Hopefully you can save the yoke with a "heat and squeeze" tactic.

If you need anything, just say the word. I'll do my best to help you. B)

Teddy da Bear

I don't think the clevis (yoke) has spread. There is a continous solid surface (of both peices) through the pin hole.

I hope you can see it in this picture.

Perhaps the tube portion of those bushings are still in there and the flange is what was broke up in the bottom.

At the very least I need a new pin.

I will dissassemble it further tomarow and see what the clearances are between mating parts.

Attached Image

post-4-1216337611.jpg

wp205a

sickle repair in progress, sms-42 converted to lifted (42-a). Photos above not showing up. Mine too was dry as a bone, put 30 wt non-d in, 2 distinct oil drips, so I'm sure I need seals. Not knowing enough to ask the right questions, just wish me luck.