Sign in to follow this  
trainman

wh 211-5 peerless 5 speed transmission need help!

trainman

I got this tractor used and been fixing it as I go along I have a question about the transmission it's a 5 speed peerless 833. it was built in 1984 Not sure on how to service or check what lubrication it has in the transmission, where is the plug to check the level? I also seems all the gears are smooth to shift except trying to find reverse on the far right sometimes is a pain. My trans is 27 years old should I have this rebuilt or is there a part that is making this shift hard into reverse?

Don1977

Thoes transmissions have been packed with grease from the manufactor. It dries out over the years and could be the reason it's hard to get in reverse. Another reason could be a bent shifter fork. The only way to tell is to open it up as have a look inside. I think it used a special grease that's quite expensive, There is a tread where someone was working on a noisey 4 speed peerless, you might want to look at.

SousaKerry

Grease is called bentonite and it is very expensive and is not made any more except by one manufacturer as an aftermarket grease. The couple I have torn apart have not needed any new grease and I have scooped it out and reused it several times. If you do split it open try not to disturb any parts you do not have to once you see the inside you will see why. Go out on the internet and search for the repair manual it will save you a lot of headaches. One manual covers almost all transmissions and don't pay for it if it isn't free keep searching

• Like 1

Kelly

If you need the Bentonite grease I have two LARGE tubes of it, brand new

• Like 1

bowtieguy

I replaced a bushing in a Peerless 833 last winter...like sousakerry2 says...don't open it up and it you do don't mess with the gears or the grease....I finally got mine back together but I'll never waste my time on another one..heck, they don't even make a good boat anchor!

Once you see a manual with the parts breakdown I think you might look for another "project"!

trainman

Is there another transmission I put in it's place? how hard to put a hydrostatic in it?

SousaKerry

THe earlier LT used a 600 series later ones used the 830 series like you have, most of those will work some may need some minor modifications (different gear shifts and options) As for hydro unless you have a complete donor tractor I would not attempt it. Drop down and see Kelly he probably has a few laying around ;-)

Kelly

I have a freind with a complete running mowing tractor I think he said it was a 214-5 the shifter is on the dash, I havn't seen it yet, but he is asking $225 and it has a 42" deck on it.

I don't have much for parts for the lawn mower style machines, a few things some wheels a couple decks, other odds and ends.