Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Headlight Plastic

Greg B.

Some days ya just can't catch a break! A few days ago I was mowing on the back part of my property and the horse up and dies. Well, I respond the way anyone would. I sit back, light a cigar and ponder the meaning of life. About then I notice some serious smoke rolling out from under the hood. I reach around the steering wheel and release the rubber latches, flip the hood over and see a pretty little flame way up front. When I got there (nanoseconds), I observed the flame eminating from the air cleaner. I pulled the cover off and threw the burning filter into the dirt.

It's then that I notice the hole in the muffler, right next to the air cleaner. Even for me, 2 + 2 = 4. I make sure the fire is out, on the ground and gingerly drive back up to the house.

All this is by way of saying that it wasn't until today, when I was test fitting some pieces of the new exhaust, that I noticed that the inside of the plastic headlight bezel was melted. I had just bought new bulbs!

What the heck is it gonna cost me to replace that piece of unobtanium, on a C-165!?

Greg B.

kpinnc

Greg, I'm assuming your C-165 is a pre "black hood" tractor.

The factory bezel, in it's original form, is not available as a replacement. You can order a replacement, and it will work, but is not an exact match to the original. The original bezel had a chromed trim around it, and a chrome horse head logo in the middle. The replacement bezel is exactly the same size, but comes with a decal that you have to place on the back of it. It is trimmed in a grayish-silver border. The horse head logo in the middle is also just part of the decal. It works, but certainly does not look as nice. <_<

The Toro part number is 98-1713. It's called ASM- Lens w/decal. I ordered mine from RCPW, but they are available from Toro as well.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

kpinnc

Feeling kinda dumb right about now...

From what I've found since my post- A C-165 is a "black hood tractor".

Greg, I have no idea if that bezel is available. But, the Toro website can give you the part number, and you can ask a dealer or try ordering online. Most any replacement part- especially for a tractor that new, is still available.

I'm sorry about that..

Kevin

Rollerman

Greg if they are the same bezels that are used on the 300series/etc stuff?, I bought a new set at my dealer about $5 dollars a side.

That cross over muffler is an expensive one to replace, even used off ebay.

I have a few here patched up as well...but when they go...they go :D

PS what kind of cigar was it...makes a differance..LOL

Stephen in northern IN

Sparky

Hi Greg. Does it look like this one?

tractors.jpg

If your unable to find one locally(wherever that is) I have this one which is in a C-85 that I dismanteled a few years back.

Let me know .....Mike.....

CHARGER9AUTO

Hi Greg. Does it look like this one?

tractors.jpg

If your unable to find one locally(wherever that is) I have this one which is in a C-85 that I dismanteled a few years back.

Let me know .....Mike.....

Mike, I have a '81 C-85 with the black plastic headlight bezel I could part out if anyone needs one . Ben....

Greg B.

You guys are awsome.

Mike, that sure looks like it. I'll pull it out, in a couple of days and look for a number or take some dimensions we can compare. The odds on finding one in the wilds of LA ( Lower Alabama) are remote. There are no Toro dealers around and I'm about ready to take hostages to get a TSC!

I saw where a guy used some pipe fittings and one of those handicap grab rails for a stack. Just happened to have one in my junque box. So.....

Greg B.

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey guys,

Is the cutout for these newer style headlights the same sized as for the older stuff (Red hood C series for instance)?

Thanks

Curmudgeon

It's then that I notice the hole in the muffler, right next to the air cleaner. Even for me, 2 + 2 = 4.

NOW I know my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I take 2

and add 2

I get...........................

Dale

Greg B.

I can see where that might get to be a problem, Dale :D

Greg B.

Curmudgeon

LOL

Dale,

PS: Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread.....

Greg B.

Mike,

If you're interested, email me with what you need for that plastic insert. SWMBO says I can't have any more play money until after the holidays, but with sufficient whining :D ...

Greg B.

Curmudgeon

SWMBO?

South West Michigan Business Organization?

Snows White Man But Odorless?

Dale

Greg B.

She Who Must Be Obeyed :D

Most of us have one.

Greg B.

Sparky

Hey Greg. I'll pull it out today before the snow hits and make sure theres no busted parts on it. Assuming its not cracked or anything hows $10 + shipping. I ship from a DHL terminal so shipping is cheap. I bet its around $5. I will need an address or at least a zip code and I will get a shipping quote on Monday. You can e-mail me instead of posting if ya like.

Mike......

sparkiees66@yahoo.com

Greg B.

Mike,

Ya got mail :D

Greg B.

Greg B.

Mike,

Ya don't got mail :D I double and triple checked and I used the address that you posted.

I want it.

pockets999 at msn.com

Greg B. 36467 zip

Sparky

Thats strange. Its the correct address. Oh well...I never understand some of the stuff computers do anyway.

I took some close up pics of it when I got it out and one of the screw holes is cracked. Its also missing one of the screws(the one from the cracked hole).

I will send the pics to ya from my other address and let me know if you still want it. I think with some epoxy, caulking, or glue it would be fine.

Mike.......

Greg B.

Mike,

It was sitting on the porch, when I got back from the Doc, today. All safe and sound and very useable. :P:D

Pleasure doin' business with you,

Greg B.

Sparky

That great! Glad to help out.

Mike.......