Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Ag tires

Duff

Greetings, all,

On my 312-8, I've currently got a set of Armstrong turf tires size 22x900 - 12 on the rear. I presume this rather oddball size was put there to accomodate the 37" SD deck. B) And Armstrong is, I'm told, out of business.

I want to buy a set of Ag tires to run when the deck is off and I'm working in the woods. I've already got spare rims (8-12's). I'm looking at Titan/Carlisle 23x8/50-12 Trupowers. The engineering spec calls for a 7" rim width. My question to the knowledgable among you is, will the Ag's mount OK on the 8" wide rims? I don't want to invest about $150 (including shipping, not including mounting) in new tires if they won't fit my rims! B)

In researching tires, it looks like just about everything in the 23x8.50 sizing, and many of the 23x10.50's, turf or Ag, call for 7" rim width. I am completely confuzzled! B)

B) for any advice!

Duff :whistle:

combatmp29r

Duff the 23x8.50s need the 7" Rims, but the 23x 10.50s will fit right on the 8" rims you have.

rustyoldjunk

i would as Joel said mount 10.50's on the 8 inch rims.with 8 inch rims and a 8 and a half in wide tire the side wall will be slightly over extended out but with a 10.50 on an 8 inch rim the tire is wider than the rim and the side walls not be over extending out to meet the rim.while it might be possible to get the 8.50 tire to bead up on the 8 inch rim,its not a good idea.besides everybody has the 8.50's with the 10.50's you'll be stylin' lol.i think the bigger 10.50's will look good on your tractor and they should fit without any issues as long as you dont have the deck on.jim

bluetuna08

a tight fit is better for running low air pressure I think.

Nick

I think the 8.5" tires would work fine on the 8" rim but for the cost difference it might not be a bad a idea to step up to the 23-10.5 tires.

Tires have went up but i would think a local tire shop might beat that price. B)

Curmudgeon

The 10.50's are the way to go, but................

According to our buddy Brian Miller, for the most traction, a wider wheel will lay the tread out flatter, giving you a tad bit more traction, and flotation for that matter. The offset? That straight up and down sidewall isn't going to flex much!

Personally, I have a pair of 10.50's on 11" wheels and think they work just fine! I'm also running some 12"er's on a 7" wheel too. Yup, I don't always go with the standard recommendations. For traction, I went wider to lay out the tread, on the 24x12x12 turfs, 7" wheel for maximum sidewall flex and a smooth ride.

It ALL works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Duff

B) fellas!

I'm now leaning heavily toward the 10.50's. And yes, I want to try to shop them locally, as the guys who sell me the tires for my on-road vehicles treat me pretty good. I was just researching availability of things on the internet. I'm all for supporting small business in my home town, and products made in our own country, when I can! B)

You guys are great! B)

Duff :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Duff, I neglected to mention that! I've bought a lot, if not most, of my garden tractors tires from the same people I buy my car/pickup tires from.

Duff

Duff, I neglected to mention that! I've bought a lot, if not most, of my garden tractors tires from the same people I buy my car/pickup tires from.

Got to support our local merchants! Actually, the guys who sell me my other tires quoted me about $20/tire *cheaper* for the ags than the on-line folks, including mounting. What a great country we live in! :whistle:

Thanks to all,

Duff B)

Curmudgeon

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GlenPettit

When buying tires, check the date of manufacture to see how old the tire actually is, here's how:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Nick

I dont think age is going to be a problem for garden tractor tires but thats some interesting information on car tires. My brother just had a one year old tire blow and shred nearly to the rim while at interstate speeds (whole family in the van). He thought it might have just hit something on the road and broke the belts but I'll be looking at the other 3 tires now. B)

Curmudgeon

So does that mean we should all replace all our tires when they are a year old??????? B) :whistle:

linen beige

Those DOT code #s aren't required on tires not meant for highway service. Most of the older tires on our 'Horses don't have dates, at least not coded that way.