Sign in to follow this  
Mikez655

Tecumseh 6hp rough idle

Mikez655

Hello all I recently rebuilt my Tecumseh motor and now it does run but only with full choke if i turn off the choke it will shut off immediately, any suggestions? Could it be the idle adjustment screw or the main idle screw?

horse700special

Sounds like it's not getting fuel. I would clean the carb real good first. Check the fuel lines are clear. Does it have gas in the bowl? Is it gravity feed or fuel pump? The fuel pump may need cleaned out. Keep us informed how it goes...

Mikez655

It is gravity feed

pfrederi

Try backing out the power needle (on the bottom of the carb bowl) a whole turn and see if it makes any difference. No difference at all probably means dirt in the carb

Mikez655

In currently soaking it in paint thinner so hopefully that will do the trick along with a carb rebuild kit

Mikez655

Ok got it running without the choke on but it won't idle by itself is there any adjustments that I need to make?

kthack657

change points and condenser!! Always works for us

pfrederi

Did yo adjust both the high speed (power) and idle needles per the manual?? 1-1/2 turn for High speed 1 turn for idle as start point?

Mikez655

Yes i did the main needle does look a little damaged but im not sure if that would make a difference

pfrederi

The carb kits 31840 come with a new main needle assembly.

I assume you replaced the points during the rebuild

Mikez655

No i didnt i will replace them as soon as i can find some where to get them. Any suggestions? Also the carb bowl leaks gas im thinking that it has to do with the float?

pfrederi

OK lets back up a second. In you initial post you indicated the motor had been "rebuilt". What all was done to it? Points would normally be something replaced as a part of the process.

Also did you put a rebuild kit in the crab or just soak it? Long term soaking of Tecumseh carbs is not a good idea unless you have completely dissembled it. there are plastic parts that do not take well to soaking. One is the float needle seat, it is some kind of rubbery plastic. if you soaked it for an extended period the solvent may have damaged the seat. There are in some Tecumseh carbs plastic seals on the throttle shaft..they also do not like prolonged soaking.

The valve seat is included with the carb kit I mentioned above. Sounds like you need one.

Breaker assy is 30547a All over ebay also RCPW

http://www.rcpw.com/...5&search=Search

Others will disagree but i have had no problems with points in Tecumsehs. The ones in my HH70 came with it in 1990 and are still in there. The original H60 points lasted until the motor need new rings.

Did you replace the flywheel timing key ?

Mikez655

I soaked it for 24 hours in paint thinner and replaced the bowl gasket with the needle thats attached to the bowl i still have stuff that i didnt put on there the valve seat being one of them thank you for the link and no i didnt replace the flywheel timing key. The other engine im using my grandfather bought from a gentleman who claims he rebuilt it so should i go over it again?

Fordiesel69

You will need to order a carb kit with a replacement plastic float. There are two core plugs you need to drill out to clean all the ports correctly. This is a step you cannot leave out. Use gumout carb cleaner and spray each and every hole. If you use less than a 1/2 can you haven;t used enough. You may not be able to get a nice smooth low idle.

pfrederi

Lets try to fix the carb first. if it still doesn't run well then we can go back over some other items that should have been done during the rebuild.

As to replacing the float first lets see if the current one is bad. It should be brass and when you remove it there should be no sound of any fluid in it at all. If it is dry inside and not badly deformed i would stick with it. The recommendation to dig out the freeze plugs has merit, but i usually try first to clean everything else put in the complete carb kit (new valve seat and new main and idle needles) then try her out. I have actually never had to remove the plugs the carbs always were Ok with a good cleaning and a kit. ( I have in line filters and the only problem i have had was a snowblower that wound up with crystals in the fuel bowl (inspite of using stabil). The crap they pass off as gas these days....

Also make sure you have the float adjusted correctly. There is a cheap little gage but the measurements are also in the manual.

If she still won't run well then he is correct about removing the welch plugs and more cleaning.

COMMANDO6

Ok, maybe I sound amateurish here, but I had the same problem with my H60, and all I needed to do was replace the air cleaner. You did replace it during the rebuild? But I guess it might just be that the carb needs to be cleaned.

Mikez655

Ok the float is good i took it off and there was no fluid sloshing around in there, i ordered new points and a condenser off of ebay and no i havent replaced the air cleaner but i will im sure i can get one off of ebay as well. Hopefully all of this works, thanks to everyone for all the great advice! I will keep posted when everything comes in the mail

pfrederi

When you go to install the points you have to pull the flywheel, carefully inspect the key. It is a soft alloy key designed to shear easily. If it is deformed at all you need to replace it as it will mess up your ignition timing.

I still think the carb is the basis of your problem.

Mikez655

The key is in good condition and the points should be set at 0.20 thousandths?

Mikez655

Also, did tecumseh ever make a 6hp cast iron engine? I do have a cast iron block that looks very similar to the other aluminum one that im working on.

Fordiesel69

Im sure they did....I had a cast iron 7HP craftsman and it was a torque monster. About on par to a K181 if not a tad more. Carb was crappy though so very poor low end.

Mikez655

Nice maybe i should build the cast iron block then instead of the aluminum block

pfrederi

Tecumseh made an H60 (aluminum Block with a steel sleeve) and and HH60 with a cast iron block. WH used the H60 in the less expensive models and the HH60 in the 606/656 and Commando 6.

I really do not think that there is any difference in power. The bore stoke and and HP ratings are the same between the engines.

You can see the differences here.

9365b0196606807.jpg

Mikez655

Excellent picture thank you very much! Could i find some literature on Tecumsehs like that on ebay?