Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

K482 Oil Seal

JamesBe1

I am putting back together a K482S that had a snapped rod. The crankshaft needed to be turned down after that, so I pretty much had to dismantle most of the engine. I figured that I would get an overhaul gasket set with seals and do it right.

Got the crank back from the machinist recently, and started putting things together. I removed the rear oil seal, and went to install the new one from the kit, and it appears to my slightly too small.

The gasket kit has a bag of seals labeled 48 755 33-S There are two seals in the back. Neither of them appear to fit correctly.

One seal is embossed with NOK AE7782E, and the other NOK AD7792E

The seal that I took out is embossed with 8618702 and VG 46144 M

The Kohler part number for the seal is 277065

I checked around the internet this afternoon trying to dig up as much info as I can, but haven't had much luck, so I thought I would bother my friends here.

The only thing that I can find on the internet about the original seal is a reference to a CR46144. The specs appear to be different enough that I suspect that it is not the same seal.

Can anyone help me dig up the right seal? I suppose I can get it from Kohler, but where would be the fun (learning) in that? What the heck is a 8618702 ? VG 46144M ?

JamesBe1

I ordered the oil seal with the part number from the manual, from Small Engine Warehouse. I got it today, and it turned out to be the same as one of the other two. It's the one with the orange around the outside.

It's too big to fit into the crankshaft plate.

The other seal that came with the gasket kit, is closer to what I need, but it is a little too small. It fits in the bore of the hole, but there is a small gap around the outside of it. Maybe 1/32". There is no way that it would seal in any oil.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm throwing out a lifeline to my fellow Wheel Horse enthusiasts.

James

squonk

I would take your old seal to a Napa and have them measure it. If they got anybody worth anything there they should be able to get you a seal with just the sizes. If they cant and if you have a caliper, post your sizes and if no one can help you, I have a seal size book I can check when I get back from PA.

MarkPalmer

All I can come up with is 277065S for the rear, and 25-032-06S for the front. Do you have your engine spec number? That might help me.

-Mark-

pfrederi

Most all teh number you provided come back to 2 different CR seals. 16871 ans 16719. They are dimensionally the same, one has a double lip the other a single.

Bore size 2.502 shaft size 1.688

JamesBe1

Thanx All!

I measured the old seal as best I could. It is slightly the worse for wear, and was beat up a bit from being removed.

I get:

2.47 OD

1.68 ID

0.50 Height

I think 16871 is the correct seal. Dunno why I had such a hard time with this one, but it is reassuring to know that there are some smart folks willing to lend a hand

Anyone care to ponder why neither of the seals in the gasket kit were the correct ones?

JamesBe1

You know, some days I just want to crawl in a hole. I think I fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I found a 16871 at my local napa, and picked it up. Comparing it to the seal that I took out was strange. The new seal had a lip all the way around it, and the old one did not. The new one looked like it would fit in place, but still a little tight.

I went to put it in, and at the last minute, I took a box opener and scraped around the outside and where the old seal was. Wouldn't you know it, I found rubber bits on the blade. After looking a lot closer, part of the old seal was still in there. Looks like the old seal tore perfectly enough that I couldn't tell that the lip had torn off and stayed in the mounting plate. I took a hammer and chisel and removed the rest of the old seal. Now guess what, looks like the seal that came in the gasket kit actually fits! I tapped it into place and everything is well in oil seal land.

Oh well, at least I learned at lot, and to me, that's worth more than the costs of the extra seals that I now own.

MarkPalmer

It's always fun when you pull that Homer Simpson, "Doh!" It happens to all of us now and then. There are a lot of guys who sell new Kohler seals on E-Bay at good prices, and sometimes the aftermarket seals just don't quite fit. Just ran in to it with my 687, where I got the supposed NSK equivalent for the brake shaft seal on the transaxle, and there was just no way it wanted to go in without the outer ring distorting. Had to break down and order the $13.00 right one from Toro. Gald you got the engine fixed.

-Mark-

squonk

Don't feel bad. I was working on a deck today and couldn't figure out why the socket that I just used on a bolt wouldn't fit on the bolt next to it. Tried a metric as I thought the nut may be rusted a bit. Took me 5 minutes to realize the nut from the last bolt was still in the socket.