Sign in to follow this  
stronics

Wheel horse brake lining question

stronics

New to this great site with a question about the brake band lining. I hear you can put on a lining with glue of some sort. Well I'm in need to do that but don't know what to use for lining and glue. Anyone here know how? I'd appreciate any help.

C-165, C-141, B-100, B-80, 876 and a Commando 8.

Just got the 165 and is the one in need of the brake repair.

Thanks for any information,

David

Rollerman

Dale I know has done has rebuilt his own with new lineing?

I have used JB weld to put an old liner back on after it came loose.

Need to get all the grease off...but so far has held.

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

I've been told you can buy lining and adhesive from NAPA too. I've never done it, but I hear it works. I think the lining material is thinner, but it supposedly works...

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Or just replace thhe band and lining. Readily available.

Rollerman

I want to add that the break bands for the later tractors can still be found & purchased at a dealer.

They are pricey, sometimes $25 & up.

The older pre 70 stuff can be harder to find...differant type of break band.

When you have a collection with 4/5 tractors needing them, the repair becomes a lot more affordable.

Stephen in northern IN....my 2 cents

stronics

Guys,

Thanks for the replys. My C-165 has no lining left, It must have come off with the previous owner. I have some heavy industrial belting, like canvas that I think I'll JB it on to see what happens. I don't have a good WH dealer around here. They want to sell you a new one, not parts.

Thanks,

David

WheelHorse_of_course

Speaking of JB weld...

I picked up for cheep a muffler that looks like it would fit on my Kohler K301.

But it is flange mount not NPT and the block does not have the studs or mounting holes. But it also has a mounting strap over the top that would go to one of the head bolts.

Rather than drill on tap the block I am contemplating gluing it on with JB weld with the strap adding additional strength.

My 854 came with a custom exhaust with a chrome straight pipe welded to a right angle elbow. It looks great, but whoever welded it had too much heat and while it is mechanically strong there is a series of holes on the perimeter. My first use of JB Weld was to put a bead around this and other than darkening slightly it has not deteriorated at all. I am very impressed!

What do you folks think?

kpinnc

I have heard of using JB weld on a bolt in a stripped hole. Supposedly, when the stuff dries you've got instant threads. Must be some tough stuff!

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Yup, I've replaced the lining in several brake bands. A good auto parts store should be able to fix you up. Just get FLEXIBLE brake lining to the same spec as the original. Same width, same thickness, and cut it to length.

Now I got REAL lucky on mine. Someone ordered some brake lining, but the warehouse sent the wrong stuff. Guess what? It was EXACTLY what I needed. Now since I deal with same local auto parts store all the time, a nice little outfit where everyone knows everyones name, not the cheapest, but I go there for the service, I was given the lining for free because they couldn't send it back since it was cut special order. That gave me enough lining to do four brake bands.

I did order the epoxy recommended by the lining people, though I've heard a variety of things will work. The epoxy cost me something like $12. A lot for a small tube.

So let's recap, for a lot of money for a small tube of epoxy, I relined 4 bands at one third the cost of a single new one. Even if I'd paid for the lining, I could still have done four for the price of one.

McMaster Carr also has flexible brake lining, but it's a tad more expensive from there.

Dale, with stopping power in Michigan

wh79d160

Hello, I am new to the site & new to the wheel horse family. I bought a 79 d160 over the weekend. Its in pretty good shape but the brake band is broken in two pieces , part #106672. This part is discontinued & I can't seem to find any NOS any where. Anyone have any ideas on retro's, conversions, similar parts ect? Thanks in advance. P.S. I owned a NAPA store for 13 yrs & we didn't sell brake lining or glue. We sent the good cores (metal part) to a place in the Kansas City area to have relined.

T-Mo

Hello, I am new to the site & new to the wheel horse family. I bought a 79 d160 over the weekend. Its in pretty good shape but the brake band is broken in two pieces , part #106672. This part is discontinued & I can't seem to find any NOS any where. Anyone have any ideas on retro's, conversions, similar parts ect?

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you found us. As for the brake band, I'm afraid you're right, it has been discontinued. And I don't have any ideas, except to search ebay and maybe local Toro dealerships to see if they wouldn't have any laying around. Sorry I couldn't be of more help here.

Welcome again to the site.

CasualObserver

wh79d160 Welcome!! and I've sent an email to an acquaintance who had a bunch of d-series parts a while back to see if he can help you out.... I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Otherwise... I don't know where you are, but you can try Daris Knauer at Lincoln Radiator in Lincoln, IL (217) 732-7084... he's been a dealer since 1959... and last time I was there he told me he had a ton of NOS d-series parts. Tell him Jason Schahl sent you there... he's an old family friend.

wh79d160

Jason, Thanks for the tip. I called Daris. I mentioned your name. He said "sure, Jason from Minnesota". I told him what I needed and he said he'd check & get back with me. Sounds like a real nice guy. Thanks for the info. Tom in Kansas.

nylyon

Welcome Tom, I hope that you find the brake part you need. I recall seeing on the internet someone who specialized in D parts, but of course having a reason to find them I can't, but I'll keep looking!

BTW, we love pictures!!!

CasualObserver

You're welcome Tom!! My family has bought Wheel Horse from Daris since he opened. He went to school with my grandfather whom I speak of often when referring to how I got into Wheel Horse. I've moved away from there, but still stop in when I can, and my dad still goes in at least once every month or two.

wh79d160

Jason, Daris wasn't able to help me w/my brake band for my D-160, so to took the pieces to the local small engine dealer & we matched up an aftermarket brake band for a Go Cart. I had to do some modifications, took about 10 minutes, and the part looks good & fits good. It's a little norrower, 1 1/8 vs. 1 1/2 but it works fine. If anyone needs a part # or mod. details, let me know. I'm not telling anyone else I have GO CART parts on my wheel horse, but you guys can relate, I 'm sure.

CasualObserver

Whatever gets the job done! Functional and affordable are the way to go!