Sign in to follow this  
Buckshot 1

4 speed to a 8 speed trans. swap in a 656?

Buckshot 1

:) Now that I have gathered all the parts for my 8 speed (Thanks Mike) and have the 4 speed out. My Buddy noticed that the brake drum on the 8 speed is farther from the axle that on the 4 speed. It looks like I will not be able to use the original brake/clutch rod. Has anybody done this swap before, is so could you give some advice/suggestions on what to do about the brake/clutch rod? Thank you for your time. :flags-usa:

• Like 1

racinfool40

Don, to switch them all you need is the rod that has the bend in it...one goes over the top and one goes down in front of the brake drum... Or vise versa..I will have to look can't remember..Might have one out in the shop and I will look.

MIKE

Kelly

One other issue you will have is the drive pulley, only a few early 6 speeds have the correct small pulley, you will have to come up with something there, and the break rod off a raider with the brake drum in the same place will fix your problem, I did the swap in a round hood, and had those two issues.

Buckshot 1

:) Thank you Mike and Kelly for your replies. I have the pulley issue taken care of and will look for the brake rod. I have the dipstick issue solved. Now my problem is the shaft for the hi/low is hitting the frame, so there fore can not install trans. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions on solving this issue? Thank you for your time. :flags-usa:

racinfool40

Don there is a thread on here somewhere as to how to notch the seat support to fit the trans...But I couldn't find it maybe some one else will jump in or be able to find it..

Pm Sent on the Brake rod..

MIKE

sorekiwi

Check out Stephens pics in this thread:

Buckshot 1

:) Thank you Sorekiwi and Kelly for your replies. Both those post solved my problem with the Hi/Low shifter shaft and I now have the tranny installed. Now on the the Hi/Low shift lever, I trying to decide whether to bend it or cut it like Kelly did. Bad part is I have all ready painted it. Oh well sand blast it and go to work on it. Again Thank you Guys, for those posts. Mike I sent you a PM. :flags-usa:

Buckshot 1

:) Well after some time away, I finally completed the 4 to 8 speed conversion. Everything is working fine. Man this 656 is slow in low range. third low I can get off and walk faster than the tractor is moving. Must be the pulley combination, from a large dia. 8 spd drive pulley to a 4" drive pulley. The speed on the high side seems to be the same as the 4 speed. Again Thank you everyone for the help on this conversion. :flags-usa: