Sign in to follow this  
besman

disc harrow help

besman

I have a C-160 with a 36" tiller hanging off the back. I have noticed that the red clay of the south is having fun wearing down my tiller tines at a fairly fast rate. So, i'm considering purchasing a sleeve-hitch disk plow and give the tiller a little rest. Agri-Fab makes one as does Brinly. Has anyone on here used either of these models or have any recommendations? They both appear to be made in the USA which is a big deal. I'm wondering if the disc types make a big difference. The Brinley website shows their plow with round discs while the Agri-Fab model appears to have notched or scalloped discs. it also costs a little more.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

M

farmer

Hi M,

opinions will vary on this subject, but I'd say clay soils and disc harrows don't mix, the window to work clay soil is very small and disc harrows tend to compact the soil.

I use a tiller for deep cultivations.... (potatoes, pumpkins, beans) but for pretty much everything else I made a cultivator for my tractor. I do have a set of :wh: disc's which I use as a bedder and to hill up potatoes ( I turned the disc's around and removed the 4 central one's.

Hope this helps. :)

besman

Ok thanks. I will add a little more to my situation. This garden area is already tilled and such. i basically just want to keep it turned some to prevent the morning-glories, briars, and other weeds from overtaking it before i plant. It's not new ground.

bean

This garden area is already tilled and such. i basically just want to keep it turned some to prevent the morning-glories, briars, and other weeds

just run a disc harrow over it every 7-10 days. it will keep the weeds from getting established. you can also use the disc harrow to hill potatoes etc, as mentioned.

I have brinly attatchments, and they are well built. agri fab are as well.

besman

Ok thanks. Which is better - the round discs or the notched discs? Or do they make that much difference?

farmer

In that case I agree with bean, a cultivator or disc used regularly will be faster and cheaper to run than a tiller to keep your plot clean. :thumbs: