Sign in to follow this  
RussC

Middle blade not cutting as well as outside blades

RussC

This is on what I believe is a 48" deck on a 416-8. The deck is a used deck that I picked up but it is identical to the original which had rotted. Before placing the deck on the tractor I replaced all of the blades, the center spindle(and housing), and double groove pulley, but nothing else. I did grease the bearings on all of the spindles and they all spun freely by hand but now it seems that the center spindle doesn't turn as fast as the outside two as it's leaving a lot of uncut grass down the center. Does anyone have a clue what I'm missing?

Sparky

Maybe it is spinning at the same speed but the blade is on upside down :scratchead: . Its been done before by a few guys here. Not me of course :roll: .

Mike.......

RussC

Wouldn't that be a hoot! I'd better check........Thanks Mike!

JamesBe1

Maybe it is spinning at the same speed but the blade is on upside down :scratchead: . Its been done before by a few guys here. Not me of course :roll: .

Mike.......

Blade upside down - been there, done that.

In fact, it's easier to get all three upside down at the same time when taking them off to sharpen them.

boovuc

I used to think my 48" deck was the crappiest deck in the world because of the wierd cut it left. I had an outside blade upside down. That took two mowings to figure out!

can whlvr

make sure the blade is tight,if the blade is a little lose it can slip,ive had this before

Sparky

make sure the blade is tight,if the blade is a little lose it can slip,ive had this before

Good point Don, I forgot about that.

Mike............

RussC

I haven't checked yet but I'm actually hoping that I have a blade upside down, that sure would be an easy fix and I'm already well accustomed to the taste of humble pie. :laughing-rofl:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Don1977

The pulley could be loose also to cause this if they are metric spindles as the center pulley are made together, and only helt by compression of lock washer and nut.

SNYFIX

The pulley could be loose also to cause this if they are metric spindles as the center pulley are made together, and only helt by compression of lock washer and nut.

Would look more in this direction.

Kelly

I've seen all the above, loose blade spinning on the shaft and eats the shaft, pulley on the newer style decks that does not have key in it, not tight and eats the pulley up, and I just picked up a tractor with new blades on it all upside down, one other thing to look at did you put the pulley on right side up?? one pulley is bigger than the other and will affect blade speed, probably not that but worth looking at.

Lane Ranger

I just repalced a pulley, bearing and double D washer on a center blade on a 36 inch mower deck that had a big problem of not turning!

When I took it off the pulley had been rounded completely out and the double D washer was inside the mower deck belt cover - spilt in half. Apaprently the bearing had worn the flat sides of the pulley off and it was now rounded out truning in the bearing. This was an original cast pulley.

The big surprise was finding half of the double D washer that sits between the bearing and the pulley on the topside of the mower deck spilt in half!